Stevia...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
freshfood: Hi! :frow

Where did you order your Stevia seeds from? Because maybe I could buy some & grow my own. It costs too much here in the UK & besides I like growing from seed.

Happy Gardening everyone! :happy_flower

:rose Hattie :rose
Maybe this would be helpful, Hattie:

Richters has Stevia seed and ship to the UK. Unfortunately, the webpage says they are sold out this year.

I often come across Nicky's Nursery when I'm searching for seed online. They are in the UK and have stevia seed.

Stevia . . . steffia . . . stef . . . stefan . . . stefe . . . stop

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:celebrate I just ordered a Stevia Plant, cant wait till it arrives i have a nice pot reserved for it, then i might add some decorative rocks around the soil. Looking forward to using in for iced tea.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
it does make great iced tea just mix it in with your other herbs when you make tea and it gives a very sublte sweet to it :)

now I have to find a new plant for this year you guys!

thanks for the thread

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
it does make great iced tea just mix it in with your other herbs when you make tea and it gives a very sublte sweet to it :)

now I have to find a new plant for this year you guys!

thanks for the thread
If you find any, please let me know I am excited about using this too! I love sun tea and I bet it makes GREAT sun tea!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is the sun tea recipe I have been tinkering with...

Orange Spice Sun Tea
(makes 1 gallon)

8 cinnamon sticks (broken in to small pieces)
1 tbsp dried orange peel
1 tbsp dried stevia leaf
3/4 tbsp course chopped dried ginger
orange zest (optional)

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Here is the sun tea recipe I have been tinkering with...

Orange Spice Sun Tea
(makes 1 gallon)

8 cinnamon sticks (broken in to small pieces)
1 tbsp dried orange peel
1 tbsp dried stevia leaf
3/4 tbsp course chopped dried ginger
orange zest (optional)
Wow looks great, i could go for some right now.
Whos gonna make it lol? I bet you could add lemon zest instead of orange if you didnt want to.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I made it with lemon a few times before I found the dried orange peel. That's pretty good too.

I am actually trying to replicate the taste of this fantastic tea I used to be able to buy locally. It was called "100% Natural Orange", but I can't find it anymore. Even when I could find it it was wicked expensive. The recipe I posted is pretty darn close.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I made it with lemon a few times before I found the dried orange peel. That's pretty good too.

I am actually trying to replicate the taste of this fantastic tea I used to be able to buy locally. It was called "100% Natural Orange", but I can't find it anymore. Even when I could find it it was wicked expensive. The recipe I posted is pretty darn close.
Well, Thanks for posting it :clap ;) , i'll enjoy in for the summer time on my deck admiring the garden i have.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow

My Stevia seeds I ordered arrived yesterday afternoon -- so I'm just about to go out to sow them. Can anyone tell me how long they take to germinate! I'm one of those people who are very impatient about this bit of the process -- my chilli plants nearly drove me crazy, they took so long........!!

Any advice about growing Stevia would be very useful, please! :rainbow-sun

:rose Hattie :rose

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
Any advice about growing Stevia would be very useful, please!
I bought a Stevia plant about three years ago now.
It dies back each winter and comes back in the spring. It seems quite happy.

Here it is among the Sage, Peppermint and Oregano. (light green plant in center of photo)

61109SteviaPlantemail.jpg

I have it growing in a raised planter bed. It gets filtered sun most of the day.It is under a pine tree, and the raised bed has a "green house" over it with shade cloth.

61109CoveredPlanteremail.jpg

I give it a bit of compost in the early spring and in the fall. Each fall it forms flower spikes. It will be 2 1/2 to three feet tall by fall.

I really don't like the taste of Stevia. It has a sort of chemical after taste to me.

Latest posts