Stevia...

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi rebbetzin

Thank you for the information & the photos -- they are lovely & it's great to see such a large plant growing so healthily & happily!

Unfortunately I will have to grow in pots because I live in the UK there is not a hope that it will survive outside for a lot of the year.

I had quite a shock when I opened the seed packet. The seeds are the teeniest-tiniest I have ever sown -- I thought the packet was empty but finally saw there was some dust in the crease at the bottom.......!!

[digitS' : I did order them from Nicky's as per your advice! Would I ignore the "Veg-Guru's " advice --:gig :gig :D !!!!! ]

So now the seeds are sown on the top of the damp soil (I used "aspirin water). I followed the instruction on this site:-

http://www.prairieoakpublishing.com/Seed_Starting.php

So now I just have to wait & see (this is the hardest part for me....... :weee ............!!!! I want it all to happen INSTANTLY !! I am like a child -- I want results FAST! :tongue :plbb So you will have to put up with me fuming over the delay :lol:

Actually, apparently, I shall be LUCKY IF ANY GERMINATE ! :idunno :idunno :idunno
SO here I go -- on my "GREAT STEVIA ADVENTURE"

:rose Hattie :rose

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow I can't quite believe it ! :frow

It looks as if my Stevia seeds are already COMING UP.....!! :ep ALREADY........!!

I only sowed them two days ago & all the info said 16 days min. But not to be surprised if nothing came up at all -- they are so difficult to get to germinate. I sowed some other seeds that needed the same bottom heat just so I had other things as a check that the soil was OK etc, etc. Nothing from them so far but definite little dots of green in the Stevia pan. :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate

I know there's a long way to go yet BUT..........what a great start!!!!!! There are supposed to be 30seeds in there but how anyone could possibly count them is beyond; you can't even see them.........!! I wonder if it had anything to do with the aspirin water I dampened the soil with before I sowed the seed? It is supposed to aid germination. I have been using it on most of my seeds & plants this spring, both on sowing & potting on, as well as transplanting. So far I have the healthiest plants ever........!! Now I'm not saying it's due solely to that But it makes you think.......??? I will definitely continue to use it.

I am so excited about them! :ya :ya :ya

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
:frow I can't quite believe it ! :frow

It looks as if my Stevia seeds are already COMING UP.....!! :ep ALREADY........!!

I only sowed them two days ago & all the info said 16 days min. But not to be surprised if nothing came up at all -- they are so difficult to get to germinate. I sowed some other seeds that needed the same bottom heat just so I had other things as a check that the soil was OK etc, etc. Nothing from them so far but definite little dots of green in the Stevia pan. :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate

I know there's a long way to go yet BUT..........what a great start!!!!!! There are supposed to be 30seeds in there but how anyone could possibly count them is beyond; you can't even see them.........!! I wonder if it had anything to do with the aspirin water I dampened the soil with before I sowed the seed? It is supposed to aid germination. I have been using it on most of my seeds & plants this spring, both on sowing & potting on, as well as transplanting. So far I have the healthiest plants ever........!! Now I'm not saying it's due solely to that But it makes you think.......??? I will definitely continue to use it.

I am so excited about them! :ya :ya :ya

:thumbsup :thumbsup Wow the seeds only took a few days to germinate that bottom heat must of really helped. And that asiprin did you use advil or tynel and did you use one or two.
Thats interesting how this could help

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Greenthumb :frow

I just looked at them again now (I have just woken up) a few more dots--definite germination. I still can't believe it........!! :D

I used a generic aspirin -- the fast dissolving kind. The cheapest I could buy, I'm a real cheapo!!! ;) I don't use them myself; I try to keep away from drugs as they have a powerful effect on me. I only used one tablet in about a pint& a half of water & I used it on all the plant containers.

I wish now that I had planted some of the seeds in a pot without the aspirin water (just using ordinary stuff) as a control. I even contemplated ordering more seeds from Nicky's Seeds. All the seeds I've had from her have done well & luckily not expensive!

I thought I might send her an email to ask if the source of the seeds was American or British/European. From what I read up before sowing the US ones are supposed to be best. :D
Also the black ones are said to be better than the brown ones. Problem here as they are virtually invisible (without a microscope) Well! to me anyway as I have eye problems. They are so small you can't even feel them between your fingers.........!!

I shall continue to post their development on this post as I don't think I'm hijacking it. If anyone objects I'm perfectly happy if it's moved. :cool:

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
i just planted my tiny tiny stevia seeds today! i used your asprin water idea, we will see what happens

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Gazinga :frow

GREAT! It will be interesting to compare notes.

I'm growing mine out of curiosity & because a friend of mine can't eat sugar but loves sweet things & I thought this might make a good gift for her.

Are you giving yours lots of bottom heat? What growing instructions did you follow?

Let's keep in touch! :frow

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I too am growing Stevia for the first time. I found my plants at Walmart :ep I was so Surprised, and happy brought home a couple of pots. :clap I then divided them into 9 separate pots as there were 9 plants well established. :celebrate I plan to add 3 of these into my Herbal Tea Garden that is in the making now. :celebrate :celebrate The others I hope to use to propagate more from cuttings :watering :coolsun

I hope everyone is having a Great weekend. :coolsun

:happy_flower Karan :D

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow

I can see the first leaves clearly now & there are new pin-points of germinating seeds appearing. I have moved the pan to full sunlight (through a frosted window) as i know they respond to the amount of light.

Gazinga, did you leave your seeds uncovered? Did you do a lot of research before starting? Can you see anything yet? I hope for good news from your germination. :frow

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
karanleaf said:
I too am growing Stevia for the first time. I found my plants at Walmart :ep I was so Surprised, and happy brought home a couple of pots. :clap I then divided them into 9 separate pots as there were 9 plants well established. :celebrate I plan to add 3 of these into my Herbal Tea Garden that is in the making now. :celebrate :celebrate The others I hope to use to propagate more from cuttings :watering :coolsun

I hope everyone is having a Great weekend. :coolsun

:happy_flower Karan :D
I bought stevia plants too but they haven't arrived yet :idunno .
You'll have plenty of stevia growing in your garden, 9 plants is a lot.
Good Luck with them!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there! :frow

I just thought I would let you know that the Stevia seedlings are now 1/2" high now & looking healthy. I've taken the clear plastic off the top as per the information I read up on in the link I posted. I've also taken the flat off the bottom heat & it stands where it gets full sunlight for more than half the day (albeit it is through a frosted window).

It is obviously going to be ages before they become decent sized plants but at least I can see them. I have given them a gentle spritz of aspirin water yesterday & will continue to do this once a week -- otherwise I use room temperature ordinary tap-water.

Hi Gazinga! :frow

How are your seedlings -- have they germinated yet? :happy_flower