Stinky Compost?

CJW

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi!

I just started my first compost pile with chicken poo and straw. I have turned it once, but it REEKS! It doesn't smell like the typical ammonia smell. But, I feel bad because the wind might take that smell to the neighbors. :/

I tried searching to see if this is normal, but I didn't find anything specific.

Am I doing this right? Is it supposed to smell? I am going to go turn it again today, but I really don't want to because of the smell!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
CJW, I have used dolomitic limestone to deal (somewhat) with problems like this.

Dolomitic limestone (agricultural lime) has something of a smell itself but it isn't quite like putrefaction. Actually, you don't want to have that ammonia smell either. The ammonia is your nitrogen escaping into the air.

I have found that layering with soil really helps for composting.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
cover it completely with a tarp or plastic cover and weight the edges down with rocks. That always works for me.

CJW

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestion.

I will look for a tarp the next time I get into the garage. (Might take a few days-it is supposed to be plenty cold for the next week or so, and I don't leave the house but to feed the chickens.)

Also--When I turned my pile today, I noticed almost like a mold-type substance? Is that normal?

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I would say that the mold you are seeing is normal. I've been composting horse and chicken manure for years and always have found mold in the "active" center of the pile.

Just last weekend while turning it the pile I found some small mushrooms growing, I normally see during warmer months but was suprised to see them in winter.

The decomposition process in the compost pile comes in many forms, and it never ceases to amaze me.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
CJW said:
Also--When I turned my pile today, I noticed almost like a mold-type substance? Is that normal?
That stuff that looks like mold is called mycorrhizae, and it's super beneficial to your garden. It's a simbiotic fungus that improves plants stress resistance, drought tolerance, and makes it easier for them to take up soil nutrients. It's a "Good Thing", to quote Martha. :D

CJW

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Whew! (Wipes brow!)

Awesome! I let my boys come into the pile with me and put their hands near the "heat". They were amazed at how warm it was. They (and I!) are learning a lot!

Thank you all again!

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
CJW said:
That stuff that looks like mold is called mycorrhizae, and it's super beneficial to your garden. It's a simbiotic fungus that improves plants stress resistance, drought tolerance, and makes it easier for them to take up soil nutrients. It's a "Good Thing", to quote Martha. :D
Thank you soooo much for this answer. I have alwals wondered what that stuff was and wether it was a good sign or not. You made my day!:D

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
CJW...I am just learning about compost. I know there has to be a certain ratio of greens and browns. I can't tell you what that is.

But I put leaves, grass clippings, chicken poop, and kitchen scraps in mine and it NEVER smells. In fact, the smell is more like a forest floor. It is really nice. I do turn it several times a week and always make sure that I bury my kitchen scraps in the middle.

Maybe an "expert" like Boggybranch will chime in.

Mine never heats up but there are worms in it and it does turn into great compost, so I'm happy.

Mary

sheaviance1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Is it possibly too wet? When my pile gets rank, it is because I let it get too wet, and the anaerobic bacteria start partying in there. If that is the case, turn it a little more frequently and add some more dry browns to it to get things settled down again, and if you can, cover the top with a tarp to keep rain from getting to it.