stinky tom cat

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
What kind of material is the porch?

Vinyl siding and treated wood for the railings. He's sprayed some storage tubs I had sitting there this winter too. DH bought me a blacklight this evening, so I'll know where it is I need to clean.

I do believe he is a stray. He's very sneaky and elusive. I kept catching glimpses of him, but thought it was my own orange tabby until I realized this one has a fluffier head. We've had a lot of strays/ferals over the years, mostly in my neighbor's barn. He used to shoot the cats until his eyesight got bad. My cats are neutered and indoor/outdoor, so I'm glad I don't have to worry about him shooting mine. This tom has beat up on my cats in the past, but doesn't anymore. I guess they settled their differences. :rolleyes: I thought about catching and neutering him and releasing him back because it has been my observation that new cats will always come in and take over the territory once the old cat is gone. But I've heard that neutering doesn't guarantee that they'll stop spraying anyway. I dunno. I told DH to do whatever he needs to do, just don't let me see it. I saw my FIL shoot a stray cat once and it was very upsetting to me. We do have a live trap. May relocate him to my dad's farm (no one lives there, lots of mice), but if he can't be caught, well...

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Maybe try TSP=trisodium phospahte or 20 Mule Team Borax? 1 cup dissolved in a bucket of hot water....sprayed on the spots or slopped on.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle I have no problem quickly and humanely dispatching a problem animal.I don't think causing a animal lingering pain to slowly die of infection is right. The coyotes by me solved the stray cat problem here.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend owns a 148 unit apartment complex and allows pets but he has to charge a HUGE pet deposit to cover the cost of removing the old carpet, treat for odor, painting the floor and install the new carpet. He has tried every type of odor killer, perfume, deoderiser, including "Nature's Miracle " . Some work for a while but odor returns after a few days. Prospective tenants can smell the bad odor and will not rent = VACANTY. So, he has the carpets removed , then paints the floors ( concrete and/ or wood ) or sheetrock on the walls to seal in the odor. :eek:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think bad odors like that are more noticeable in damp weather. Maybe it will be dry and windy where you live this weekend, Journey.

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
have you tried good old vinegar? I've used it before after a cat lover moved out of a rent house. after the pickle smell was gone so was the cat pee smell. good luck.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think bad odors like that are more noticeable in damp weather. Maybe it will be dry and windy where you live this weekend, Journey.

I hope so. It is raining cats and dogs here right now, combined with the snow melt, flooding. But it is supposed to be mild and sunny for Savannah's birthday. :)

Thanks for all of the good suggestions, guys. I have lots of vinegar and baking soda on hand which I use for other cleaning and also Borax. I will start with the cheaper ways and work my way up if needed. Thankfully this odor is outside!

Best thing I figured out to do with the dog pee on the carpet was to fill a 1-gal garden sprayer with a strong solution of carpet shampoo which has odor control enzymes and stuff in it. After soaking up all the dampness each time with a paper towel, I sprayed with that and soaked it up too. That has been really handy. But I have gone through a ton of paper towels this month.

DH got the wrong fixture for the black-light...sending him back to Wally World.... :p

Latest posts