stocking up

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
yesterday looked at the shulers meat ad told the dw that we would be going down since the chest freezer was getting low. the nice thing about them is their a restaurant meat supplier with a retail store. so this morning we drove down, best to go early they do get busy plus everything is stocked.
yes with the "pandemic" somethings have gone up in price but their quality surpasses any grocery store. nothing worse than grilling a eyerib to find it's tasteless and you need a sawsall to cut it.

both dw and i really like their small chickens they are excellent grilled, then there is their ground beef and chicken breasts of course there is a thousand ways to cook them...
so once home we portioned some of it and froze it except the ribeyes thats tonights dinner.
IMG_1686.JPG

do you have a favorite place to shop for meat?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
just down the road from us is a decent butchers place - i don't always shop there but once in a while i go grab something from them when i want to cook for myself. i haven't been there for months now though so i have no idea what the prices are like.

[edited to add]

the meat prices at our regular other shopping places have been mostly stable, not that certain cuts haven't gotten rediculous and ground beast even went up by about 1-2$/lb for a while, but they've mostly returned to where they were before or so when the sales come along, like the other day we could have gotten some ground chuck for $1.79/lb. our freezer is full so we didn't get any, but i'd have grabbed a pound just to make a few burgers but we'd just had take out the day before and i don't usually like to eat meat one day after the other. a few times a week is plenty enough for me...

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite place to shop is right here on my farm. I raise the lamb, pork and chicken that we eat. Now we have a steer that will go to slaughter in March. Currently raising 45 Cornish Cross meat chickens. 15 are presold, 10 are going to the neighbor that we bought the steer from, because he fed the steer until we were ready for him. 5 are going to a neighbor because he will take care of our animals when we are gone at Thanksgiving and Christmas. That leaves 15 for us and DD and her family. Going to butcher 8 spent laying hens in a week or so and give them to another neighbor because they are both disabled and can use the meat.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my area, there are two decent butcher shops within a short driving distance. Bakeries & liquor stores have mostly disappeared, replaced by their supermarket counterparts... but the meat markets still have a loyal following.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just keep an eye on our store's sale ads. If grass fed ground beef is on sale I will buy 5-6 one pound packages to keep me till they go on sale again.

But last time I was at Costco I noticed their grass fed patties were $3.99 lb which is lower than the $5 lb sale price at my grocery store. So maybe next time I'm at Costco I'll get some there. We don't make burgers but I can use it to make chili or tacos with.

Mary

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just keep an eye on our store's sale ads. If grass fed ground beef is on sale I will buy 5-6 one pound packages to keep me till they go on sale again.

But last time I was at Costco I noticed their grass fed patties were $3.99 lb which is lower than the $5 lb sale price at my grocery store. So maybe next time I'm at Costco I'll get some there. We don't make burgers but I can use it to make chili or tacos with.

Mary
I'll be there soon with my begging bowl :drool

Luckily for me there's a cattle farmer nearby so I stock up with their meats. Their animal's are treated well all free range and they live to good good age. Looking forward to some if the mutton soon

Last edited:

Latest posts