Story time...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time picturing you doing this....or anyone doing this! So glad you didn't get bitten. Aren't skunks notorious for carrying rabies?
You are braver than I am!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
So lucky, that skunk was so busy spraying me-it didn't even attempt to bite or turn around. My husband is not stupid...he was standing back watching!! Animal wrangler will not be on his resume! When you have a wife as nutty as I am, why get involved?? I would have loved to shoot the critter- but blowing holes in my coop is even a little crazy for me. Plus, I live in the city-they don't like it when I shoot things! Hopefully, the darling little skunk went back to his family and told them to stay away from the crazy lady near the chicken coop!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My skunk story---
a few years ago my wife and some girlfriends went to Branson for a long weekend, leaving me to do the critter feeding.
We have 2 donkeys, a doz chickens 10 or so turkeys an emu some dogs and a freight car full of barn cats.
It seems as though there are always a few wild critters that hang out in the barn and eat more of the cat food than the cats eat.
I was told the night before she leaves that a young skunk was showing up at evening feeding and to just talk nice to it and it would not bother me.
Well that evening I'm on the way to the barn and all the cats are sitting in the sliding door opening looking towards the feed stall. I enter real slow and I see a black & white waddling thing moving across the floor of the stall.
So being a person who follows directions I spoke to it nicely, I think my exact words were "you will have to explain to all these other animals that I'm not about to get near you and no one gets fed tonight."
Actually I did go back out a few hours later and fed everyone.

THANX RICH

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh my @lesa!! That is the BEST skunk story of all time.

Years ago I had a rotti/husky mix who had some sort of passion for skunks. He would go nuts to get outside if he caught the slightest whiff of skunk - and got sprayed a few times every summer. Once I was standing outside chatting with my land lady when we heard sort of a squeak near the fence. Then Frankie came trotting towards us holding a small skunk - who (I swear) was spraying like an aerosol can the whole way! We started yelling at him, which apparently convinced him that something was going to get him because then he shot toward us at a full run - skunk still in his mouth, and cloud of fowl smell following.
My land lady didn't speak to me very much the rest of that summer... ???

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know why, but for some reason husky types like skunks.
I had a malamute when dh and I got married and we were visiting at a friends house, the guys were working on a truck and it was almost dark. Keilah got wind of a skunk and chased it under the house where she proceeded to follow it and almost got stuck. The skunk had plenty of room to move - and spray -which he did, while the guys dragged our dog out. The dinner we shared with them that night had to be taken outdoors where the smell wasn't as strong.
I guess their house was pretty pungent for quite a while after. :hide

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Older brother had a lab that seemed to LIKE skunk smells. He was often sprayed and never seemed to mind!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
One summer night when my youngest son was 15, he wondered casually outside about 10 pm. He came running in about 10 minutes later, frantically looking through the cabinets. "Where's the tomato juice?!"
He had gone out to the corn field to sneak a smoke and got sprayed full on by a skunk. Ha! Served him right. He ended up taking a sponge bath with V8 juice.

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa you are soo much braver than i ever thought about being!
then there was my niece's new husband who came to dinner one weekend. a young vegan who didn't want animals harmed but munched down on my grass fed beef. my granddaughter was telling her boyfriend how i had shot a skunk out by the old barn. new nephew got all upset because i had shot it. i asked him what i should have done and he told me in no uncertain terms that i should have live trapped it and taken it to the humane society. i asked him what the humane society would do with a wild skunk and he told me they could euthanize it. i answered him gently. da i did euthanize it without the middleman. sometimes i am amazed at how people think.
ds has a cocker spaniel who seems to have a thing for skunks too. I've lost count of times he's been sprayed. can tell you that a combination of dawn dish detergent and oxyclean does a great job of getting the smell out tho

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why is this not in the garden humor thread? I thought it was the beginning of a joke when I first started reading. My Dal was skunked some time ago. All the special potions I used worked. But, every time she got wet I would smell it again for months.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, Cat- that was garden humor, at its best! Really hoping I am not so funny next year! I am knocking on wood- but with both these skunks, none of the dogs have been sprayed. Much easier to wash that smell off skin, than fur.

Latest posts