Stove for Canning

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi folks!

Our kitchen stove is on its way out and I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement. It's an old, 4-burner, electric, coil stove that anyone who had a kitchen in the 80s would recognize. I love it, but it's old and I've thrown parts at it for long enough that I'm sick of fixing it and want something new.

I want to stick with electric for environmental reasons but most of the electric stoves on the market are the glass-top ones that I think are questionable for canning due to weight. The few coil stoves I've seen around here all look kind of cheap to me, not that I really know what to look for.

Anyone have any favorite models of electric coil stove that they want to rave about? Cautionary tales of models that you can warn me about?

Thanks in advance!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a similar issue here, which is why I could not start pressure canning until now. What's worse is this old house didn't have a gas supply. In the past 60 years, two families who lived here used fuel, so there is a super large oil tank in the room beside the garage.

Last summer, we finally made up our minds and applied for gas. I am pessimistic about finding an electric stove, which can carry the weight necessary for pressure canning. Maybe I will install another gas stove in few years.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't bought a new stove in many years. My house was a HUD repo and for reasons known only to them, there was a cheapo electric oven and refrigerator in the house. Neither one is anything to brag about. The house I will be moving to has a gas oven. I'm ok with that.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have gas but I’m still thinking about buying a propane turkey frier to can with. $15 refill price for canister should be enough for me. Plus I could do it in shed and keep heat out of house. It makes no sense to pay for air conditioning and heating up the kitchen....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
1633352416683.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
they have ovens that can handle canning on the surface ok. i just did a search for heavy duty ovens and there were enough selection that i think anyone should be able to find one that will work (with electric coils tough enough to support a big pot). prices went anywhere from $800 - $10,000... uh, i don't need stainless steel so i'd be happy with those at the lower end. the oven/stove we have is an old GE, i've had to replace the bottom heating element in it and the top saucer thingys that go under the coils Mom has to replace once in a while because she doesn't like if they don't look nice or if they won't clean up easily.

i can't imagine needing a burner that uses 4000 watts but some of the stoves i looked at had a top range on the coils from 3000 - 4000 watts and a mix of coils for lower needs too.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I can on my glass top stove.
It is by far the EASIEST to clean when you canning and spill, btw.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a similar issue here, which is why I could not start pressure canning until now. What's worse is this old house didn't have a gas supply. In the past 60 years, two families who lived here used fuel, so there is a super large oil tank in the room beside the garage.

Last summer, we finally made up our minds and applied for gas. I am pessimistic about finding an electric stove, which can carry the weight necessary for pressure canning. Maybe I will install another gas stove in few years.
Apparently gas is being phased out here. I don't know when but I've only just found the right cooker for me one with a high grill the old kind of cooker :)

Latest posts