Stove for Canning

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I haven't bought a new stove in many years. My house was a HUD repo and for reasons known only to them, there was a cheapo electric oven and refrigerator in the house. Neither one is anything to brag about. The house I will be moving to has a gas oven. I'm ok with that.
I much prefer too cook with gas a wood stove would be even better :)

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like to cook on gas, especially for the precision and responsive temperature changes, and we have natural gas/methane in the house already, but I'm trying to cut down on fossil fuel usage and we also have nearly 100% renewable electricity here. I'm fine with electric as long as the stove holds a stable enough temperature to keep the boil going once it starts.

The $500 4 burner GE stoves that seem to be semi-ubiquitous are the ones that I was worried about being too cheaply made, but maybe that's just because they're often presented as a budget option? They seem to have decent reviews online. Anyone have any experience?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like to cook on gas, especially for the precision and responsive temperature changes, and we have natural gas/methane in the house already, but I'm trying to cut down on fossil fuel usage and we also have nearly 100% renewable electricity here. I'm fine with electric as long as the stove holds a stable enough temperature to keep the boil going once it starts.

The $500 4 burner GE stoves that seem to be semi-ubiquitous are the ones that I was worried about being too cheaply made, but maybe that's just because they're often presented as a budget option? They seem to have decent reviews online. Anyone have any experience?
I have a cheapo electric Hotpoint stove, nothing heavy duty about it at all. It has the typical electric coil burners. My pressure canner is a 921 model All American. It is heavy, when full I cannot even pick it up. I've had no problems using it on the burners.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

i have no idea what the one we have cost when they bought it new 26 years ago, but i've only had to replace the bottom oven heating coil and it holds an even enough oven temperature for oven canning so i have no complaints about it other than where it is located in the kitchen (or more precisely the wall right next to it which is always in the way of my elbow when i'm trying to stir something on the right side coils). and is 4 coils ever enough? :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Down here I have a gas cook top. When I was in Arkansas I had a Whirlpool electric stove top. I used it for canning. The eye I used for canning broke apart, the three support braces became separated from the coils due to the weight of my Canner that would hold 18 pints. It was kind of heavy. I was able to order this eye for canning. This eye has additional support so much stronger and it sets a bit higher so the heat doesn't build up at the eye. I've seen people talk about some concerns that too much heat build-up can fry the wiring. I'm not sure how much I'd worry about that but I have fried wiring in an incandescent lighting fixture by using a higher wattage bulb than it was rated for.

Canning Eye.jpg

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Down here I have a gas cook top. When I was in Arkansas I had a Whirlpool electric stove top. I used it for canning. The eye I used for canning broke apart, the three support braces became separated from the coils due to the weight of my Canner that would hold 18 pints. It was kind of heavy. I was able to order this eye for canning. This eye has additional support so much stronger and it sets a bit higher so the heat doesn't build up at the eye. I've seen people talk about some concerns that too much heat build-up can fry the wiring. I'm not sure how much I'd worry about that but I have fried wiring in an incandescent lighting fixture by using a higher wattage bulb than it was rated for.

View attachment 44209
I experienced this recently! I bought a cheapo box store burner without much thought beyond "will it fit?" the first time I had trouble with this stove and the thing got all weird shaped the first time i put a pressure canner with 18 pints on it! It also developed surface rust almost immediately. Lesson learned!

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a cheapo electric Hotpoint stove, nothing heavy duty about it at all. It has the typical electric coil burners. My pressure canner is a 921 model All American. It is heavy, when full I cannot even pick it up. I've had no problems using it on the burners.
That's what this one is! A cheapo hotpoint that looked like it was dying when we moved in and has lasted a decade since. I should probably learn something from that :)

Thanks all!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

View attachment 44209
You might want to check into LED's for that fixture. I put 8 ceiling hangng 2 bulb LED's in my 4 car garage, 5000 lumens each. Looks like daytime in there, but uses LESS than the previous old flourescents that I pulled. I needed to replace a 60 watt conventional bulb over our stairway (no windows to light it) and put one, 2500 lumens but only pulls 25 watts. Just some lightfood for thought!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might want to check into LED's for that fixture. I put 8 ceiling hangng 2 bulb LED's in my 4 car garage, 5000 lumens each. Looks like daytime in there, but uses LESS than the previous old flourescents that I pulled. I needed to replace a 60 watt conventional bulb over our stairway (no windows to light it) and put one, 2500 lumens but only pulls 25 watts. Just some lightfood for thought!
The problem was that somebody put a 90 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture. That was decades ago.

Latest posts