Stove Working

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I've always had gas stove, even on folks ranch, Grandfolks ranch had a wood stove.
-------------------------------------
Moma told me when she was a girl her job, on the folks ranch,( Grape Ranch, or Farm) was to keep full the kerosene lamp over the kitchen table and that One Night at Dinner the Light Went Out, and how bad she felt when this happened, with Grandfather, her daddy there.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My tiny little great grandma used a wood cookstove.
Her size has nothing to do with it of course, just one of the enduring memories I have of her.

We'd come for a visit in the summer, there would be a fire in her cookstove, and a pot of coffee on top. Her house always smelled of apples, from the stored ones in her dirt cellar, and it was always so clean and tidy. Her upholstered chairs were covered in white fabric throws. She always had a shoe box full of wooden spools tucked under the couch that she would pull out for us kids to play with. She had an amazing garden full of flowers and vegetables, and a giant (to a kid) apple tree in back and two mysterious sheds that I longed to treasure hunt in. I never asked, but I bet she would have let me. I always imagined in my horse fevered imagination that I would find all sorts of horse gear in them, left over from the homestead years when they raised horses.
................sorry, that wood cookstove ignited all those old memories.....

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would enjoy cooking a lot more if someone would come in after I'm done and clean up. I think I need two separate sinks. DH will "help" clean up after a meal, but he quits before the clean up is done, and stands at the sink absent-mindedly polishing on the faucet and sink, while there are dirty pots and pans right there, waiting. Or just stands at the sink looking out the window. Argh! :barnie

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Quote thistlebloom: I always imagined in my horse fevered imagination that I would find all sorts of horse gear in them, left over from the homestead years when they raised horses.

Oh, if you had only gone in those shed there was for sure wonderful tack, the kind they took time in the making, it could be hanging all over inside your house.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My tiny little great grandma used a wood cookstove.
Her size has nothing to do with it of course, just one of the enduring memories I have of her.

We'd come for a visit in the summer, there would be a fire in her cookstove, and a pot of coffee on top. Her house always smelled of apples, from the stored ones in her dirt cellar, and it was always so clean and tidy. Her upholstered chairs were covered in white fabric throws. She always had a shoe box full of wooden spools tucked under the couch that she would pull out for us kids to play with. She had an amazing garden full of flowers and vegetables, and a giant (to a kid) apple tree in back and two mysterious sheds that I longed to treasure hunt in. I never asked, but I bet she would have let me. I always imagined in my horse fevered imagination that I would find all sorts of horse gear in them, left over from the homestead years when they raised horses.
................sorry, that wood cookstove ignited all those old memories.....

Talk about bringing back memories....Sounds like my paternal grandma, she loved her wood stove. She knew exactly which piece of wood to put on to get the oven up to whatever temperature she wanted. They didn't drink much coffee if any but the tea kettle was always on. In later years she had an electric kettle. When they moved she had to get used to an electric stove which she hated with a passion. She swore food didn't taste as good cooked on an electric stove.
Although my paternal grandfather owned one of the larger grocery stores in the city at the time they were quite self sufficient other than staples like milk, sugar, flour, butter, tea, salt etc. they grew most of what they ate and kept chickens, Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds. They had fruit trees, apple, peach, apricot, cherry and damson plum. They also had a walnut tree and gran made her own pickled walnuts. They had small fruits like red and black currants, strawberries, raspberries and gooseberries, he also grew cantaloupe and watermelon, growing these last two are iffy here now because of climate change. The only fruit bought were things like oranges, lemons, limes and grape fruit. They didn't grow grapes but my maternal grandpa did. He was also great gardener.
Grandpa looked after the vegetable garden, he grew potatoes, corn, runner beans, cabbage, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, rutabaga, cauliflower onions and brussel sprouts, I know I've forgot something. He also grew peanuts one year, all this and his left arm was paralyzed from a stroke. Gran looked after the flowers, she love her roses and had a large rockery full of choice things.
pic8.jpg

Gran made things like jellied tongue and Melton Mowbray pork pie, made her own fruit cakes and plum puddings, canned fruit, all this and she had a dodgy heart, in later years she still baked but didn't bake bread anymore. She bought unsliced bread, she used to butter it before she sliced as she liked her bread and butter thin. In the end they hired a housekeeper but only after gran had the second heart attack. These pioneers were made of tougher stuff back then.

Annette

Latest posts