Stove Working

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
she loved her wood stove. She knew exactly which piece of wood to put on to get the oven up to whatever temperature she wanted.
I had so much trouble doing that. I did NOT know which piece of wood to use!

The oven in my wood cookstove was useless to me, except as a place to store pans. My best skill, such as it was, was to have an idea of where to place a pan on the stovetop. I developed that to where I could use a little stovetop oven to make my biscuits and cornbread ;).

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
My tiny little great grandma used a wood cookstove.
Her size has nothing to do with it of course, just one of the enduring memories I have of her.

We'd come for a visit in the summer, there would be a fire in her cookstove, and a pot of coffee on top. Her house always smelled of apples, from the stored ones in her dirt cellar, and it was always so clean and tidy. Her upholstered chairs were covered in white fabric throws. She always had a shoe box full of wooden spools tucked under the couch that she would pull out for us kids to play with. She had an amazing garden full of flowers and vegetables, and a giant (to a kid) apple tree in back and two mysterious sheds that I longed to treasure hunt in. I never asked, but I bet she would have let me. I always imagined in my horse fevered imagination that I would find all sorts of horse gear in them, left over from the homestead years when they raised horses.
................sorry, that wood cookstove ignited all those old memories.....
Precious memories, thanks for sharing

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not very long. When we where remodeling and even after the house fire, 1st thing we did was get the stove hooked up, even if it stood in middle of room until it's place was ready.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can only cook on a gas stove and couldn't go a day without it. I can't wait to have a home cooked meal after eating out every meal while on vacation. I cook dinner during the week and my husband always does the dishes and cleans up.

Sometimes I try to be the helper when my son cooks but usually he tells me to go sit down with a glass of wine. :p

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do with out my stove? I've not been able to use it due to electricity being out because of hurricanes. We cooked over a pit outside. Nothing says comfort like home cooked food.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanksgiving dinner set the kitchen on fire. Months later Electrician fixed both outlet and stove yesterday. Have company coming for weekend, not sure if we will dine in or out. How long can you go without a stove ?

I have been waiting ALL WEEKEND to find out..... @Nyboy - did you cook??? What did you make??? Did every one enjoy it???? Is the house still standing???? ;):plbb

Latest posts