Strange Sandwich

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you make a strange sandwich?

First off, I find it strange that a place name has become the dominant name for a food. No. I understand that there other examples but maybe it's just population size. Like, the people of Hamburg might resent calling a Hamburg(er) - a Hamburg. But, I wonder what the people of Sandwich in Kent U.K. think.

For my brunch this morning, I peeled an apple and, I'm inclined to do, chopped and put it in the microwave. Then, I made a peanut butter sandwich. Oops! I could have been having another everyday sandwich: sliced apple and peanut butter. To overcome my dismay, I sprinkled some raisins on the peanut butter ...

Mom would make sweet onion and peanut butter sandwiches. I do that sometimes.

Do you have a "uncommon" sandwich that you enjoy?

And, why isn't a BLT known as a TLB?

Steve 😁

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you make a strange sandwich?

First off, I find it strange that a place name has become the dominant name for a food. No. I understand that there other examples but maybe it's just population size. Like, the people of Hamburg might resent calling a Hamburg(er) - a Hamburg. But, I wonder what the people of Sandwich in Kent U.K. think.

For my brunch this morning, I peeled an apple and, I'm inclined to do, chopped and put it in the microwave. Then, I made a peanut butter sandwich. Oops! I could have been having another everyday sandwich: sliced apple and peanut butter. To overcome my dismay, I sprinkled some raisins on the peanut butter ...

Mom would make sweet onion and peanut butter sandwiches. I do that sometimes.

Do you have a "uncommon" sandwich that you enjoy?

And, why isn't a BLT known as a TLB?

Steve 😁

alphabetical? BLT...

i get very strange looks from Mom in some of my combinations. i like raisins, munster, spinach and olive oil on a good multigrain bread.

i have had onion, mayo and peanut butter sandwich before. not my favorite. peanut butter, banana and marshmallow fluff used to be my favorite. i haven't had one in so long it must not be any more. i don't really do sandwiches often any more. i do half sandwiches or shred the bread into small pieces and eat it all in a bowl. braunschwieger and BLTs have been eaten here the past several months once in a while, but i'm halving bread rations or skipping altogether (using carrots to dip fake liver pate' or hummus) or using my beans as the filler instead of bread.

hmm, i guess my favorite sandwhich now would be the grilled ham and cheese made with homemade bread. we have those once in a while as it gets colder it becomes more common. i like a lot of mustard on mine and good tomato if we have it.

alternative form of bread eating in the past was making pretty well done toast with a lot of butter then dumping a pint of homemade salsa on it. i considered that a perfect breakfast - but i think people would call that a bread pudding and not a sandwich. :)

now my typical breakfast is banana and peanut butter (no bread) - today was not typical breakfast. i had some beans, hotdogs and hummus (not in that order) - i like a lot of raw garlic in the hummus so i can keep the vampires away... i think i could live off the stuff and it is easy enough to make. some year i should see if i can get some chick peas to grow here that will work with out season/climate/soils/etc. at $0.60-$1.00+ a can for the beans it is an expensive dish. i can use other beans and have at times but i really do like chick peas too for varieties' sake.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't consider that strange either, @seedcorn . Fried Spam but can't remember doing any cooking with bologna. I seem to be the only one around who is content to eat spam, in sandwich or with eggs, so I haven't had it in years.

@flowerbug 's entire diet is strange!

;) Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Radish sandwiches, with lettuce & thousand island dressing. When I make those (don't grow radishes every year) it is the first thing I eat from the garden. I like the White Icicle radishes for that (sliced lengthwise) and Bibb lettuce or similar.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't consider that strange either, @seedcorn . Fried Spam but can't remember doing any cooking with bologna. I seem to be the only one around who is content to eat spam, in sandwich or with eggs, so I haven't had it in years.

@flowerbug 's entire diet is strange!

;) Steve

hahaha, i'll never starve or go hungry as long as i can scrounge or grow something. Mom does call me the family dog...

nothing wrong with fried spam or even cold and jiggling from the can...

@digitS' do you find that onion and peanut butter reminds you of liver? do you ever have mayo on them? or MW? both of those make them even more of a resemblance to liver to me. the extra grease i guess...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey @Zeedman , sliced radish and butter on homemade bread. That was another in Mom's cuisine.

Fried liver and onion - yes, she did that also but not in sandwiches.

No, I didn't like liver but peanut butter is good. So, I guess that I'm not reminded of liver when onions join peanut butter between slices of bread. It's actually a tasty combination even if I'm more inclined towards apples, bananas and raisins.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, speaking of strange combinations... I've found that slices of apples & sweet peppers go well together. Haven't tried that in a sandwich yet, just eat them together out of a bowl. The peppers tend to start just about the same time as the apples.
Hey @Zeedman , sliced radish and butter on homemade bread. That was another in Mom's cuisine
Thanks, @digitS' ... I needed an excuse to make some bread, it's been awhile. Perfect baking weather too.

Last edited:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some years back someone forced me to try a fried yellow squash and peanut butter sandwich and it was GOOD. That's about as strange as I get on sandwiches, though I can make a sandwich of about anything.

One thing we do differently than others with our grilled cheese sandwiches is to put onions on them....takes them to a whole new level and now we can't have them without the onions.

Most often, though, we just don't eat a lot of sandwiches. I guess that's unusual in today's have it now society.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a kid, Miracle Whip on white bread was my default stomach filler. Miracle Whip on saltines was good too.
Bacon and jelly sandwiches are good, too. Great to do with cold left over bacon. On the slim chance you have left over bacon, lol.

Latest posts