Strange Sandwich

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Is that a strange breakfast, @Pulsegleaner ?

Steve

Well, the other kids at camp thought it odd when I did it. I think a lot of people are so used to pre-sweetened oatmeal mixes that they assume that ALL oatmeal must be mixed with sweet things. I kind of get the same look when I add savory things to plain yogurt.

Speaking of which reminds me of another breakfast I used to be fond of, cold instant couscous mixed with Greek yogurt or other strained type (skyr, labneh, etc.) chopped scallions, olive oil, fresh key lime juice (I use a LOT of fresh key limes; I prefer them to lemons for a lot of things) salt pepper and Italian seasoning.

I also make a lot of fried ham and cheese sandwiches for breakfast as a treat. (sometimes with the bread dipped in egg like non-sweet French toast).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the other kids at camp thought it odd when I did it. I think a lot of people are so used to pre-sweetened oatmeal mixes that they assume that ALL oatmeal must be mixed with sweet things. I kind of get the same look when I add savory things to plain yogurt.

Speaking of which reminds me of another breakfast I used to be fond of, cold instant couscous mixed with Greek yogurt or other strained type (skyr, labneh, etc.) chopped scallions, olive oil, fresh key lime juice (I use a LOT of fresh key limes; I prefer them to lemons for a lot of things) salt pepper and Italian seasoning.

I also make a lot of fried ham and cheese sandwiches for breakfast as a treat. (sometimes with the bread dipped in egg like non-sweet French toast).

kinda like tabouleh? sounds good to me. :)

recently i've been making tartar sauce which is mostly dill pickle chunks. any leftovers can be used in place of mayo on sandwiches or in spreads. i also like heaping it on cheese and crackers. :)

misfitmorgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
ah, now we are getting into the thick of it! :)

talk of bologna has gotten me thinking of our ground pickle and bologna spread that we make.

depending upon how much of each that you like what we normally do is to each ring of bologna we add 1-2 dill pickles and about half an onion. mix it all together.

I forgot all about sandwich spread...yum. We used to make it too but not to often because ring bologna is really expensive here for some reason. We never have added anything to it though we did put mayo or miracle whip on the bread. Also eaten it many times on crackers.

Also when i lived in greece a common breakfast thing was "toast" it was crusty bread with a slice of edam cheese, ham and tomatoes put into a panini press. It was so good but when i said yes we ate toast for breakfast in america too and got handed this sandwich I was kinda shocked. I explained american toast and the look I got was so funny, like why would anyone want dry bread???

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I forgot all about sandwich spread...yum. We used to make it too but not to often because ring bologna is really expensive here for some reason. We never have added anything to out though we did put mayo or miracle whip on the bread. Also eaten it many times on crackers.

Also when i lived in greece a common breakfast thing was "toast" it was crusty bread with a slice of edam cheese, ham and tomatoes put into a panini press. It was so good but when i said yes we ate toast for breakfast in america too and got handed this sandwich I was kinda shocked. I explained american toast and the look I got was so funny, like why would anyone want dry bread???

lol

i will post the recipe for garlic bread we make here, it's delicious.

oh, i see i've already posted it in the "Toast" thread. :)

and yes, good bologna is now more expensive than some cuts of beef or ground beef. times change. :) it is still good and we make it once a year and have to give some to my brother as they like it. the mass product bologna with all sorts of strange things in it is still fairly inexpensive but it tastes too wrong to me to bother eating it. if i'm going to eat sausage of any kind i want it to be good (because i don't eat it often these days).

misfitmorgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We buy a container of it once in awhile at the local store when we get a craving.

I think the worst thing about the food revolution the last few years is that the "junk" cuts are now super expensive. Cube steak, ham hocks, pork jowls, beef suet, stew bones, salt pork, etc used to be very cheap. Now I saw beef suet in the store for $2.19/lb and salt pork for $4.50 for 12ozs. There was a reason our heritiage dishes were made, cause it was cheap but that is going out the window. I won't even mention corned beef prices.

And now i have to go look at the toast thread.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We buy a container of it once in awhile at the local store when we get a craving.

I think the worst thing about the food revolution the last few years is that the "junk" cuts are now super expensive. Cube steak, ham hocks, pork jowls, beef suet, stew bones, salt pork, etc used to be very cheap. Now I saw beef suet in the store for $2.19/lb and salt pork for $4.50 for 12ozs. There was a reason our heritiage dishes were made, cause it was cheap but that is going out the window. I won't even mention corned beef prices.

And now i have to go look at the toast thread.

the bones and fat prices have changed a lot i think because they used to be locally sourced right at the butchers so it was a waste product to get rid of. now with most butchering being done in larger factories the bones and fat are all handled there, so to pull some out and package them up just makes them a specialty item so they charge more to cover that expense. we don't use lard/suet or soup bones here. we haven't for a long time. to make a beef veggie soup now we use a roast that has fat on it. i've never used suet for anything.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
kinda like tabouleh? sounds good to me. :)

recently i've been making tartar sauce which is mostly dill pickle chunks. any leftovers can be used in place of mayo on sandwiches or in spreads. i also like heaping it on cheese and crackers. :)

Well, tabbouleh uses bulghur (cracked wheat) not couscous and has mint in it, but other than that, I suppose so.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
OMGosh, NOW I want a Reuban!!! DH puts grape jelly on his BLT's. I think it's his sweet tooth. Kindof tired of pbj's, but peanut butter keeps so well that I have a big jar in my bread box with the bread.
WHY DO YOU'ALL POST STUFF LIKE THIS RIGHT BEFORE DINNER?!?!?!? :rant

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband has taken to eating sauerkraut and cheese sandwiches, which doesn't sound as weird to me as some of the stuff you folks have shared.
Y'all are as strange as I have suspected all along! 🤣 dang smiley box...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband has taken to eating sauerkraut and cheese sandwiches, which doesn't sound as weird to me as some of the stuff you folks have shared.
Y'all are as strange as I have suspected all along! 🤣 dang smiley box...

sounds good to me! just like a ruben without the meatses. i like saurkraut plain, uncooked, cooked, etc. on all sorts of things. if i had some today i would have put it on the chili i warmed up.

Latest posts