STRATIFICATION, SCARIFICATION. Seed Sprouting

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heavy metals are not the only issue in human waste fertilizers... several years ago in the Bay Area they found hormones from the use of the "pill" that started to affect boys and young men in adverse ways. Hmmm !

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
I watched one of my hens eat a snake, I couldn't eat eggs for a while after. I was told Miloganite was great for keeping away deer.
Snakes are delicious. Their meat looks like a cross between a white fish and chicken. Not sure that the chickens would care what it tasted like, it was meat. Eating a snake could only make the eggs more nutritious.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
bobm said:
Heavy metals are not the only issue in human waste fertilizers... several years ago in the Bay Area they found hormones from the use of the "pill" that started to affect boys and young men in adverse ways. Hmmm !
Research into that 'problem' has shown that fish and other aquatic animals living near sewage plant re-emergence sites have significant hormone imbalances as well. It seems that the tertiary sewage systems are able to remove all solids and living matter, but have not been built to eliminate many of the chemicals found in medicines. Another emerging problem is the overuse of tranquilizers. Aquatic animals are also showing mildly sedated, calm, or muscle-relaxed behavior.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Unless that cutoff happened in the last couple of years, it's still being spread on gardens... well, on fields anyway which are just really BIG gardens.
I saw the sewage truck unloading on a neighborhood sweet corn field. I had been considering stopping there for veggies when I didn't have a garden myself. Nope! Not before and certainly not after that.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
hoodat said:
Tomato seeds sprout best after they have gone through somethings digestive system. Of course they will also sprout where fruit dropped but if the plants depended entirely on that they wouldn't get much dissemination.
So...I guess I should feed tomatoes to my horses instead of my chickens bc the chickens digest seeds with grit. Horses have the best digestive systems for reseeding. :p