STRATIFICATION, SCARIFICATION. Seed Sprouting

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They used to sell sewage sludge for gardens here but when tests showed too much heavy metal contamination they cut it off.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are my principles . .

. and if you don't like them . .

. well, I have others.
Groucho Marx

Steve :D

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Milorganite used to be labeled only for lawn use, but I have no idea now. I'm pretty sure I don't want to use it on my veggie garden. Not when I have chicken manure. They don't eat anything nasty, do they? :D

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
They used to sell sewage sludge for gardens here but when tests showed too much heavy metal contamination they cut it off.
Unless that cutoff happened in the last couple of years, it's still being spread on gardens... well, on fields anyway which are just really BIG gardens.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, Hoodat is in California and youre in Virginia. That could make a difference.

In an ideal world theyd test that stuff for contaminates before they allowed it to be spread. Some areas are going to have a lot more heavy metal contamination than others. What goes in comes out.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have that product here...Glacier Gold compost and potting soil. Composted human sewage sludge. And yes I use it, along with tons of others in the valley. You can get it in bags or by the dump truck load!! I figure Montana people are among the healthiest in the nation...should be fiiiiiiine, right!?