Straw bale garden

mtn_penny

Leafing Out
Reaction score
On another thread I posted a pic of my straw bales and a few folks had a question or two so I figured it needed a thread of its own.

I live in southern Arizona so water is always an issue. When I started gardening about 4 years ago I fell in love with square foot.
maygarden012.jpg

Except for the fact that it takes way to many squares for me to produce enough to preserve so I went on a search.

This is what I came up with
maygarden018.jpg

This is the first year I have done the straw bales and there are a couple of things I would have changed.
What you do is start with a straw bale either rice or wheat set it on its edge by edge I mean with the strings on the sides. You want to put the bale where it is going to stay because as you water they will become immovable with out a front end loader LOL.
Next you water the bale for about 6 weeks this process can be expideted by adding amonia nitrate but I just took the long route. Anyhow once the bale is ready you dig a 2" deep trench in the top of the bale. ( I have found that this should be done prior to watering) Fill the trench with potting soil/ mulch and plant.
This method is not really reccomended for your root crops such as carrots, beets, turnips and so on as there is just not enough space for them to grow in the bale.

Oh the other little hint that I have come up with for you SFG put 2 bales together and you have your 4x4 plus they will hold the moisture a little better than in the row as I have them.

mtn_penny

Leafing Out
Reaction score
In the bales I have yellow squash, zucchini, green beans, english peas, blackeye peas, tomato's, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli.

But I also have lettuce, radish, turnips, corn, pumpkins, watermelon, cantalope, strawberries, raspberries, beets, cucumbers and I am sure I have missed something.

Plus we do have a few fruit trees.

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
mtn_penny said:
In the bales I have yellow squash, zucchini, green beans, english peas, blackeye peas, tomato's, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli.

But I also have lettuce, radish, turnips, corn, pumpkins, watermelon, cantalope, strawberries, raspberries, beets, cucumbers and I am sure I have missed something.

Plus we do have a few fruit trees.
Very cool. Can't wait to see stuff get bigger and see how the bales do throughout the season.

mtn_penny

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Me too! Although I did discover a little bloom on the zucchini yesterday. Such a tiny little plant yet and blooming I was shocked.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
mtn_penny - i got a couple questions for you .. do you reuse the bales each year, if not what do you do with the old ones .. also could this be used on our patio? ok well i cant think of any other questions, but im sure some will come to mind .. thank you for sharing, im curious and excited to maybe try, even just one bale to see how i do ...
thanks

mtn_penny

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I got my info on the straw bales for the extension office in AZ then did a little research on my own. What those people say is that you can get 2 years out of a bale however I am thinking possibly 3. I have horrid red clay soil so I figured if nothing else I could till all the straw under and help loosen the soil a bit so at the end of 2-3 years that is my plan.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awesome Penny. I have horrible soil too but I went with raised beds and bunny poop. Hay in suburbia is way to expensive like $10+ a bale.

mtn_penny

Leafing Out
Reaction score
obsessed said:
Awesome Penny. I have horrible soil too but I went with raised beds and bunny poop. Hay in suburbia is way to expensive like $10+ a bale.
Oh I agree Hay is expensive and will mold and such so check out the prices for straw as it is usually much cheaper. I manage a feed store and down here in AZ Hay is up to 13.00 a bale and staw is around $5.00 big difference.