Strawbale gardens

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did a quick search and didn'tsee anything dedicated strictly to strawbales. I'm planning a strawbale garden this year with lots of herbs interplanted amongst the veggies as companion plants. Has anyone had experience with this type of format for gardening? I'm setting mine side-by-side instead of end-to-end.
image.jpg

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've seen some really good things about it, but haven't tried it. I'm actually considering it myself this year since I'm having some soil issues.
I've read that there is a bit of prep for the bales before you can start planting.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of that prep involves wetting the bale thoroughly and giving it time to heat up (and cool down again) before planting. I've thought of that heating process as a way to add a bit of heat to my garden shed this spring before starting any veggies in the bales.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to watching your garden grow and hearing progress reports ChickenMomma!

I'm very intrigued by this concept. I planned on being potato-less this season, because of some soil issues, but after reading about the success of potatoes in straw bales I'm excited about getting a crop.

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm thinking of a different set up than what I drew out to try and save space. DH is wanting to try and put a fence up this year so I'm trying to make sure my garden doesn't get smashed (I'd have to kill him since it'll cost about $150 not including seed starter)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Question - can you start your bales too early??
If I start them in Feb... will they be 'spent' before I can plant in June? Or are they good as long as the strings hold up and they don't fall apart?

Latest posts