Strawbale gardens

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think as long as the bales are intact enough to plant in you can start them anytime. I say this because somewhere I read somebody gets two years of gardening out of theirs.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
this seems to be a better alternative than buying tons of dirt/topsoil for raised beds. in the long run the straw when it is done after the 2nd year will help build up the bed anyways.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still hoping that someone is thinking about heirloom tomatoes in early February :).

Yesterday at 3:17 PM link

Dr. LeHouiller knows tomatoes but he also knows enough to write a book about strawbale gardening. (Not me! I once created a "lawn" in one corner of my garden by using a bale of bluegrass straw for mulch.)

Steve

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've thought about it. Haven't decided on anything yet. I still need to check my seeds. I did order a tomato that looked interesting from Kitizawa, but I'm on the couch and it's in the office. It's that crazy gravity thing going on...
But there will be a combination of straw bales and at least a few tomatoes this year. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Last year one the people that are responsible for the University of Illinois Extension offices tried straw bale gardening on site, so the garden was right in front of the office. She LOVED it. A friend is interested and I found this link:
http://web.extension.illinois.edu/dmp/eb344/entry_8358/
She said that there was no weeding, but bear in mind that some straw bales have seeds in them. Don't use hay bales because many hay bales have seeds in them. This article gives you the preparation, and suggests fertilizing with manure tea throughout the season.

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
With chickens, I'd still need to fence the straw bales in or risk the veggies and straw bales between my raised beds won't do either. I need to access the beds. Hum-m-m, needs more thinking through.

Latest posts