Strawberries Aren't Very Sweet

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have Allstar berries in a raised bed, Zone 5. I just got the first quart from my 2nd year plants. They are a lovely red,nicely formed, and solid throughout but they aren't very sweet. Is this most likely due to the variety, or to growing conditions?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am going to take some guesses, Schroeder.

First off, I don't know the variety. That might be the problem.

If your garden has had a lot of rain, they may be more flavorless than sour. You didn't say if that was the problem.

Finally, I bet the soil pH influences the flavor of strawberries. Wild, they really seem to be a forest plant with plenty of humus in the soil all around them. That would mean acidic soil.

Steve

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Several years ago, before the strawberries, I added horse manure with lime from the stalls. Ever since I have been trying to reduce the Ph but it still tends towards alkaline, so you may have nailed the problem. Thanks.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Was it rainy? My delicious berries, are almost tasteless if we have rain, just as they are ripening...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine are bland after a rain too.... They taste more like water then strawberry. When its dry though, those little strawberry sponges are drier and more flavorful. All from the same raised beds we have ours in.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine aren't very good this year either. Watery and kind of flavorless. I went to pick some at a pick-your-own about 30 miles south of here, and they are good. Maybe not as good as last year, but I don't know if it is the same variety I picked last year. Oh well, even a watery berry is better than no berry at all!