Strawberries for 2020

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So I was putting it off until next year to do any strawberries as I just didn't have the cash to do more raised beds. But as I was dumping the few scraped together buckets I could muster from the scraps of horse manure and compost, dirt & sand I had left from last year for topping my corn rows and squash mounds I said "screw it" and figured I could use some of the branches I've been cutting down from the amur maple to create a triangular raised bed at the end of our squash patch, which would create a nice path way up between one garden section and the other towards our compost bins. I'm ordering dirt for my tree farm anyways, so it might as well just get increased by a few yards to account for this bed. Go pick some fruit from that money tree :/

Anyways, I thought I was set with seeds for the year, since like all of you I order my seeds in the Jan and Feb timeframe, and thus got ahead of all the rush that closed out and sold out most of the seed sites. Turns out now that I've decided to do strawberries I should get some seeds. Turns out it's hard to find the ones I want that I grew at our last house (Alexandria & Yellow Wonder). After looking all over I found one site that said they were only one to two weeks behind in shipping instead of the 30-40 days most of the other sites were saying. Anyways, in case you want to try these buggers out head on over to Pine Tree Garden seeds (https://www.superseeds.com/).

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
questions.....
1). Do day neutral truly bear year round? My everbearers never did.
2). Reviews said seed hard or wouldn't germ. What is the secret?
3). Really, yellow strawberries? Why?

1) Yes, both of these varieties (Yellow Wonder & Alexandria (red variety)) went gangbusters in the first year and just kept producing after that
2) I don't know. Both the varieties seemed to germinate pretty well for me, but I also laid down a bunch of seeds and wasn't trying to germinate them one at a time inside in Feb
3) They're incredibly delicious. Perfect for little kids too

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've not done strawberries from seeds other than those plants that might spring up here from the wild ones and others i've had show up.

are those alpine varieties? (i.e. no runners)?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
1) Yes, both of these varieties (Yellow Wonder & Alexandria (red variety)) went gangbusters in the first year and just kept producing after that
2) I don't know. Both the varieties seemed to germinate pretty well for me, but I also laid down a bunch of seeds and wasn't trying to germinate them one at a time inside in Feb
3) They're incredibly delicious. Perfect for little kids too
Ok, you have convinced me to try day neutral plants. Better work or are you in big trouble........growing for grand daughter...
:frow :p

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i've not done strawberries from seeds other than those plants that might spring up here from the wild ones and others i've had show up.

are those alpine varieties? (i.e. no runners)?
They have runners, which is actually what I love. Get a few plants going and the entire bed gets going in a year. Do these in a bed, a container or an area where you don't care if they take over. If you do them in a bed put some chunks of wood or brick down that you can step on, or else you're going to feel terrible when you have to stop on plants

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
HA! Just be careful where you put them as they're aggressive.
Already have a bed of June bearers and a bed of ever bearers. Are they more aggressive than them? My ever bearers keep moving their bed every year. This year, i’m Digging up plants to put them back where they started. & I’m not even crazy about them. Wife likes them, g’daughter loves them. I just pick a few and eat.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Already have a bed of June bearers and a bed of ever bearers. Are they more aggressive than them? My ever bearers keep moving their bed every year. This year, i’m Digging up plants to put them back where they started. & I’m not even crazy about them. Wife likes them, g’daughter loves them. I just pick a few and eat.
Eh. I don't know. I found the Alexandria and Yellow Wonders both to be equally aggressive. I haven't grown oter varieties, so I can't compare.

Latest posts