Strawberry soil amendmants

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have raised beds for strawberries. The beds are 8" deep and I tilled the ground they are sitting on. I filled them with a planters mix from the local dirt gravel place. The soil is real dark and rich looking but I have no idea what the composition is. The soil test lab charges 25.00 for a test and I figure I should be able to get a few bags of compost for that much. Are there any recommendations on what to look for? I have an ample supply of horse manure that has been sitting in a pile since last March. We have not had much luck with strawberries in beds on the ground. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The manure will help. I usually start new strawberries in soil that's been amended with a lot of compost and a generous sprinkle of greensand. They are in the rose family and like a lot of the same type of fertilizer as roses, just bear in mind that they do need bees to pollinate--don't use insecticide if you can possibly help it. The first year you put them in, don't let them make berries. If they do set berries, pull them off while still green and feed them to chickens. This helps the roots develop better. Mulch with straw (of course!) and be a bit patient. Next year, you'll be all set though. Oh, and next year be sure to set out slug traps. I just use old jelly jars with beer in them, the slugs fall in and drown, but then you have to go around disposing of Slug Beer every few days, which is kinda gross.

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I was going to go with compost but you gave me some very helpful info.

Thanks Greg

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
beak said:
We have raised beds for strawberries. The beds are 8" deep and I tilled the ground they are sitting on. I filled them with a planters mix from the local dirt gravel place. The soil is real dark and rich looking but I have no idea what the composition is. The soil test lab charges 25.00 for a test and I figure I should be able to get a few bags of compost for that much. Are there any recommendations on what to look for? I have an ample supply of horse manure that has been sitting in a pile since last March. We have not had much luck with strawberries in beds on the ground. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Call your county extension office and ask what they get for a soil test. It's only $7 here.

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
setter4 said:
beak said:
Call your county extension office and ask what they get for a soil test. It's only $7 here.
You can also get soil testers at Lowe's, Home Depot, or most garden centers. Be careful with the horse manure. If you get too much you can burn the plants. If it has been sitting that long, it should help reduce the chances of burning.

The ph of the soil could be the reason for lack of success with the berries. Soil tests will determine the ph. I would wait until after you add the manure before testing as manure can effect soil ph.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
biggreenthumb said:
setter4 said:
beak said:
You can also get soil testers at Lowe's, Home Depot, or most garden centers. Be careful with the horse manure. If you get too much you can burn the plants. If it has been sitting that long, it should help reduce the chances of burning.

The ph of the soil could be the reason for lack of success with the berries. Soil tests will determine the ph. I would wait until after you add the manure before testing as manure can effect soil ph.
The $20 tester that I bought at Lowe's did not correspond with my actual soil test.

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I went and got some bags at the extension office. What they call a garden test is 25.00 per sample. They do start at 7.00 but that is one test only. What should we be testing for? Our biggest crops are tomatoes, lots of them in our greenhouse planted in the dirt floor. lot of corn and strawberries. We also intend to do Bush peas and beans, lettuce and spinach, water melons and cantaloupe, squash and asparagus. I'm assuming they all have different requirements. So I guess we should just spring for 3 different garden test's. I'll ask again when I get results back.

Thanks

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If you are planting everything in one area you only need to do 1 test and then adjust the soil in the area for what you are planting. You need to test Ph & fertility mainly. The tests for the trace elements may not really be necessary for you. Explain to the staff what you want to do and ask their opinion.
Did they explain to you how to take your samples?
Take small samples from MANY areas in your garden and combine them together. Then spread your sample out on newspaper and dry it completely.If your sample isn't dried it will delay getting your results. You probably need to take about 2 cups in for the testing.

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
setter4 said:
If you are planting everything in one area you only need to do 1 test and then adjust the soil in the area for what you are planting. You need to test Ph & fertility mainly. The tests for the trace elements may not really be necessary for you. Explain to the staff what you want to do and ask their opinion.
Did they explain to you how to take your samples?
Take small samples from MANY areas in your garden and combine them together. Then spread your sample out on newspaper and dry it completely.If your sample isn't dried it will delay getting your results. You probably need to take about 2 cups in for the testing.
Tanks. the instructions withe the bags didn't say anything about letting dirt dry out. Appreciate it.

Latest posts