stubbed toes and mud pies

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
the taste and texture were more like an acorn squash than the buttercup (perhaps it crossed with acorn squash)
They shouldn't have ... but, what do I know. The only time that I saved squash seed, the plants crossed with every C. maxima in the county. Trusting all those big blossoms isn't wise.

I can't remember if I grew squash during the '80's but went back to growing buttercup, acorn and delicata about 1990 when I once again had a big area for gardening. (I finally gave up on delicata - they just weren't fully ripening through our seasons.)

Acorn - something went wrong. It wasn't all that many miles from my old garden. The soil could not have been more identical, organic culture, water from wells ... something not good happened to the flavor. I gave some to the neighbor and he said the same thing. I grew 3 different acorn varieties. Productive but I gave up on them.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
They shouldn't have ... but, what do I know. The only time that I saved squash seed, the plants crossed with every C. maxima in the county. Trusting all those big blossoms isn't wise.

I can't remember if I grew squash during the '80's but went back to growing buttercup, acorn and delicata about 1990 when I once again had a big area for gardening. (I finally gave up on delicata - they just weren't fully ripening through our seasons.)

Acorn - something went wrong. It wasn't all that many miles from my old garden. The soil could not have been more identical, organic culture, water from wells ... something not good happened to the flavor. I gave some to the neighbor and he said the same thing. I grew 3 different acorn varieties. Productive but I gave up on them.

Steve

the buttercup seeds i planted to try this new variety came from someone else so i have no idea what they may have had planted around them.

and not that i'm complaining about getting an edible squash from something we've grown, but surely i wanted those buttercups back that we used to get in our plantings of our own seeds. i'm not sure what happened to them, but they may have just been overwhelmed by the kabocha cross that have done so well here. again this season they are what we've got from the majority of the squash harvest. all of them are not as pretty as the variegated versions but they are all good when we get around to eating them.

i may have to resort to buying a few squash from the stores and getting those seeds for next year. they may have even been grown around here as i do know there are some squash farmers within the area.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
i may have to resort to buying a few squash from the stores and getting those seeds for next year. they may have even been grown around here as i do know there are some squash farmers within the area.

I'd buy seeds instead of squash. If you buy seeds form a reputable company they should have been raised so they don't cross. They should be pretty cheap too. At least you'd be back starting with good seed.

If you buy a squash to save seeds you have no idea what might have been grown in the next row. You may be no better off.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
since i had a bucket of Purple Dove beans sitting here this morning i figured i could time how long it took me to get them shelled. not bad, about 2hrs.

they make excellent shelly beans, we're about to have them for lunch in bean burritos. for flavor they are mild pinto bean and the texture is creamy.

DSC_20201007_114923-0400_678_Purple_Dove_Shellies_thm.jpg

and since Purple Dove beans are an interest of mine i'm curious about their parents. perhaps this picture has a few clues (the markings/lines). similar to a bean picture from the bean thread called Rio Zape. hmm... :)

the bean with the large splotch on it (in the middle) is the only bean out of many thousands of Purple Dove that i've shelled so far that has any kind of different or odd marking as compared to the rest.

DSC_20201007_115407-0400_683_Purple_Dove_thm.jpg

p.s. those items are not sitting on the hardwood floor, they're on the kitchen counter which is made out of the same wood as the floor. when they were building the place they weren't sure what they were going to make the kitchen and bathroom counters out of and i suggested using the same wood as the floor and they actually listened to me and did it. i was surprised, but it does look nice. :)

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The US Department of Agricultural says that the sloe is here in North America as an introduced species but I am not at all familiar with them.

My first thought was a Stanley prune plum. They are a type of Italian plum. Same genus, different species from the sloe

You can see a picture of them on this page there on the upper right.

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
it looks like a plum to me. which if it is a sloe plant would make sense (i'm not an expert i had to look up sloes on-line first :) ).
Thank you, this is great, we were thinking for the dog's, they're always looking out for berries and nuts, so we were a little concerned. My friend has them in her garden. I thought they looked like small plums :)

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you, this is great, we were thinking for the dog's, they're always looking out for berries and nuts, so we were a little concerned. My friend has them in her garden. I thought they looked like small plums :)

they do, but since there isn't a scale in the picture i can't really quite tell how large they were. it sounds like you could check also by taste as it will be really sour:

that says 1-1.5cm long, not much flesh, one stone in them and very sour.

i've never seen them that i recall.

only dangers to dogs would be the thorns or them eating too many and getting upset digestive system.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
they do, but since there isn't a scale in the picture i can't really quite tell how large they were. it sounds like you could check also by taste as it will be really sour:

that says 1-1.5cm long, not much flesh, one stone in them and very sour.

i've never seen them that i recall.

only dangers to dogs would be the thorns or them eating too many and getting upset digestive system.
There are no thorns. :( so wonder what they are. Thanks very much for getting back we'll have to get this looked at. There're a plump fruit, so I'll be careful. :)

Latest posts