stubbed toes and mud pies

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As soon as I can I will look this up. :) . Thanks for getting back
I'd say just under half of an inch. They look as sloes are described but no prickly branches, not like we have in blackberries. :)

20201012_152925.jpg
20201012_153132.jpg

Here is the stone. Thanks @flowerbug

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The US Department of Agricultural says that the sloe is here in North America as an introduced species but I am not at all familiar with them.

My first thought was a Stanley prune plum. They are a type of Italian plum. Same genus, different species from the sloe

You can see a picture of them on this page there on the upper right.

Steve
They look very similar. I've just left another couple of pictures. But the same leaf and description. :) thanks

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
in another thread @digitS' asked plans for staying in shape. so i wrote much of this in there already, but since i wanted to add a few more comments at the end now, i figured i'd just snag it and put it here too. :) so if this already reads familiar in the first part that is because, yeah, i stole it from myself... :)

[...]
my brother came over today with a truckload of wood that was the boards from his deck that he's having replaced. when this topic was first mentioned to me i told Mom that it would be ok if they took all the screws/nails out of the wood. of course that didn't happen. so my exercise for today was removing nails from a truckload of wood. it started raining about halfway through so i backed his truck partway into the garage and finished up. my brother borrowed Mom's car to go visit his son and watch the football game. personally, i think i had more fun... Mom hauled the wood out back and used it on her project she wanted to finish up. we have two wheelbarrows sitting full of the last of the wood out near a pathway so it can get taken to wherever some day soon, but not today...

note, we argued very hard about pulling out the nails but i really just said no way was i going to let those boards get put out back with the nails in them and then i started pulling nails. Mom said it was stupid, but i replied "Have you ever stepped on a nail?" i have and it wasn't any fun. i also almost stepped on one last year here and that ticked me off as i'd been saying for a long time to not do what Mom did. so i read her the riot act again. this after sifting the nails out of the dirt in places where old wood and pallets had been burned but they didn't get the nails out of the ashes so they were left in the ground and i was always not happy when i found them. so since then i've been enforcing a burning ban and trying to get the mess cleaned up when i can find them. i think we've largely improved a great deal. plus removing all those old rotting pallets and most of the wood/nails that i could (not all could be done but i know where they are and it's not a place where there will be foot traffic or digging now - so they've been sequestered for now until some future date)... etc. well anyways, all to say, yes, i've got plenty of chances for exercise for the next month or so with all the gardens to continue to get put up for winter and then after that i'll likely turn back into jello again.

what i hope for is that i can at least get back into some Tai Chi. i once practiced it a lot and it was good for me. a few more trips to the massage lady and perhaps some chiropractor work and i'll start up gradually. just have to turn it back into a habit...

[to digits']
i hope you can keep up your walks and exercises. :)

we used to walk up and down the road three miles almost every day. Mom started walking last week again, but only about a mile. i went with her once. i really get enough exercise here as it is this time of the year, but once we get into the colder weather then walking becomes more useful and i have more time...

ok, as followup comments, the whole thing went pretty well, for one i didn't hit my hand with the hammer at all, i only stuck myself a little bit with a few nails here or there, but i don't think any of them broke the skin. i don't even have a blister anywhere. yeah, i'm going to feel it tomorrow though, my hands and shoulder for sure.

maybe a few ibuprofens tonight would be a good idea, but otherwise i feel pretty good.

ibuprofen and ice-cream? hmm, no, i'll put peanuts on the ice-cream and wash down the ibuprofen. i don't think chewing them would be very tasty...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flowerbug, I used to park the pickup near a stack of old lumber. This was at a garden where I was for quite some time but the owner died and haven't been back for a few years. There are new owners of the home and property and I hope that they figured out where that stack of lumber used to be and the dangers of the nails that might remain.

Just hauling them in there, and the few carried away, littered the surroundings with nails. Shortly after I began parking there, a pickup tire came up lame, with a nail in it. That decided it for me: I had to do something about those nails.

There was an old set of speakers at home that I'd recently pulled apart, thinking to put the metal in recycling. Whoa! There was quite a magnet in there. I had kept one of those speakers. Now, I put a wood handle on it. For the next several times that I arrived at that garden to park, and trying to be inconspicuous, I drug that magnet over the ground. It was plenty strong enough to capture about a dozen nails! That was a dozen fewer risks for a flat tire.

Steve

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nails!! Yeah, gold as far as I am concerned. I always recycle the ones I have to pull out.
When I was little and liked to play with my grandfathers tools, he set me to straightening all his nails out, I still do this today.
Waste not want not and all that.

Latest posts