stubbed toes and mud pies

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It could be prudent to take it easy for a couple of days flowerbug. Even with no external mark you could have really rattled things on the inside. Ever seen the movie Concussion? It's one of my favourite films of recent years. (Probably not great viewing right after a head injury though.) Maybe time to change the name of your thread to Bonked Heads and Mud Pies? Lol. Take good care-- and hope that you are feeling better soon. :)

thank you, seem to be doing ok, nothing strange going on.

when i did check the mirror there was barely a mark there. went out yesterday morning and worked until it got too hot on planting one of the bean gardens. still have a little bit to finish in that one and then i move on to the next.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
gardens inside the fence are mostly weeded (other than some parts of the strawberry patch and the onion patch), i still need to bury some debris from the tulips, but that will only take an hour or so, then i can get on to planting the rest of it.

one garden planted with beans, and the rest yet to do but i hope i can get them done by Mondayish, depends upon the weather and how things go.

in talking with Mom she said that she wanted a weed wacker to go along some edges as she's just not able to do them by hand any more. ok, so i look at weed wackers and decide they're all too heavy and she would never be able to do it, then i look at edgers but they won't do a wide enough edge for her even if they can roll on the ground. so in the end i said "Hey, we got this mower and we can set the blades down low on one side and leave them up on the other side and use that as an edger of the type that you want to do." so we're going to try this next time we mow and see how close we can get and then perhaps it won't be so much left for her to do however she wants it done... note, i do not recommend this approach because what it will do for sure is open up the edges for weeds to come in but she's been doing this for years already and nothing i say is going to change what she wants on this score.

on to tomorrow we go... :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
well i tried, i asked Mom to get another round of pectin so i could make some more freezer jam, she said that she went through a lot to get the box down off the shelf and into the cart but it never got checked out (wasn't on the receipt) and it wasn't in the groceries she brought home... :( saves me the work, but some extra jars of freezer jam would not go to waste and would have really been appreciated...

i didn't get the first tulip garden planted with beans yesterday, i was tired, but it was a perfect day out there temperature wise. it did threaten to rain twice but i only let the first threat chase me out of the garden for a few minutes before it blew over and i returned to work planting. today i should be able to finish that smaller garden (i'm not going to cultivate it as much and just scrape easy lines with the small pointed hoe and then put in all Purple Dove beans since they seem to survive about anywhere and that's a tough garden for the beans of any kind). i'm gradually lowering the entire garden by scraping off the top layer (which has a lot of sand) and distributing it to the heavier clay gardens that can use the elevation. it is still too high, but in about ten years it should be ok. i have to give the tulips a chance to grow deeper...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
still planting beans, almost done with planting the larger gardens inside the fenced area and then one large garden outside the fence. i was hoping to have it all done by yesterday but at the rate things are going here it's going to be a while yet. i think it will be ok... i guess we'll see. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
mowing day today, i have a pretty large area to cut back that has grown very tall and so that will take me an extra hour or two to get through (i can cut about 1/4 width at a time), plus some extra edge mowing to do.

bean gardens on hold until tomorrow. i can see the light at the end of the tunnel there at last. two gardens inside the fence to plant and then one large garden outside the fence to plant and i'll be done. maybe by Monday? i can't predict this, but the weather looks to be ok, a bit of rain i the forecast for this afternoon, but not a high chance and then also tomorrow morning which would be really nice as then i'd not have to water.

next week early we get into the 90sF! eek! high of 94F in the forecast for Tues...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
quite a long day yesterday, but survived and mostly intact. :)

fun thing was finding a 3 point deer antler in the tall grass i was mowing down. i didn't expect it to be so heavy. i can see why someone would carve it for a knife handle.

mowing took me three refills to get through all the tall grass, but at least i can say it is finally done. no more safe spot for groundhog family to hide in while trying to raid the gardens...

rained a little this morning and more on the way in an hour or so. i'm not doing anything outside today. good day to get caught up on inside chores (which means i may just take a nap later :) )...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
back to weeding and more bean planting yesterday and today and tomorrow and the next day and ... :)

still not outside the fenced gardens yet, but hope to get there starting tomorrow.

ok, let's get this done today inside the fence... <-- cheerleading myself into getting my butt moving early...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Garden Club Meeting today, i thought for sure it would be me and one of the other regulars, but then the other regular showed up. so we sat around, chattered about and hour and got everything said and then it was time to get back here and get to work on my projects again. i usually stick around at the meeting longer just in case anyone else shows up, but today i was just ready to be back home again and back to making progress...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i sure won't be doing any gardening in the mud today, we had yet another hard downpour early this morning. just a bit of hail. the temperature is moderate for today instead of shake and bake. humidity is.

i'll be able to weed some pathways and mulch areas. there's really never any lack of projects around here that could use some effort.

leak in new spot (probably a popped nail pushed up a shingle) and a bit in the previous leak spot. sent a message to the roofing guy...

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
a cardinal is out there singing up a storm and that may even be close to literal as we do have some rains coming eventually today.

i may be able to get out for an hour or two after this fog burns off and do some weeding or trimming before the rains arrive. i see some trefoil that can use cutting back as i sure don't want it dropping all those seeds in the pathways and gardens...

with all these rains i'm not getting any more weeding or planting done today besides what i can get at from the pathways.

all the beans i've planted are up and growing. some sunshine will help them out today, but then the rains will come along again.

Latest posts