stubbed toes and mud pies

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad they are looking good. I'm sure they will do well for you again.

My melon seeds are now nice looking plants that are starting to vine. I planted them in my raised bed this year and am trying to trellis them up. Will see how they do compared to the ground. It's for sure much neater, haha.

I also started Honeynut butter nut squash, cucumbers, and a squash called Tetra under lights. Starts looked good and were fine when I transplanted them in the raised bed. But then they started to look like they were slowly dying so I just direct sowed and those plants are looking good.

My new apricot tree that I planted last summer got tons of aphids that I've been water blasting. First day I got about 80-90% of them. Only been doing it about 3 times and I've managed to get it under control. Now only a few leaves have aphids.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the north garden got planted with beans. thyme is blooming nicely. :)

DSC_20210611_132537-0400_951_N_Garden_Planted_thm.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
finished the last of the bean planting in the NE Garden. i didn't quite finish the whole edge on time, but now i have the rest of the summer to do that. :) no rush...

DSC_20210613_102651-0400_955_Last_Beans_Planted_thm.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Amethyst

What do you think? Is a dark amethyst about right for the color of the clematis you didn't identify by color?

#361D61

Steve
Edit: come to think of it. that's really hard to pronounce: amethyst clematis

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
added a few north garden pics of the River of Thyme

DSC_20210611_085625-0400_936_River_Thyme_thm.jpg

DSC_20210611_085658-0400_938_River_Thyme_Right_thm.jpg

and then some growing bean pics

DSC_20210623_113544-0400_988_Early_Purple_Dove_thm.jpg

DSC_20210623_113507-0400_987_Soybeans_Tomatoes_thm.jpg

DSC_20210623_113623-0400_991_Adzuki_thm.jpg

DSC_20210623_113807-0400_994_SE_Beans_thm.jpg

more words in their respective places:

https://www.anthive.com/project/n_garden/
https://www.anthive.com/project/beans/ (at the end)
Such beautiful pics @flowerbug! I love the stonescaping, makes such a nice contrast to the flowers and greenery. Particularly those purple flowers in the 4th pic down. That really looks good. Did you create this whole garden yourself? I see significant stone mosaic works in there, and even a pillar, love those too. Did you make those? That one stand of beans with the seemingly purple stems, those seem ahead of the rest!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Amethyst

What do you think? Is a dark amethyst about right for the color of the clematis you didn't identify by color?

#361D61

Steve
Edit: come to think of it. that's really hard to pronounce: amethyst clematis

that would be a tongue twister for sure! there is more red in it than that colors. i was thinking some kind of wine hints in there. just not that familiar with all the names of the color. as as kid the box of crayons only went to 64 until much later when it went to a few hundred.

on my screen the brighter parts are #941d61 and the darker parts are #4f2539 and the in between parts are #8b2358, there's a lot of other colors in there too... i could click on that all day... :) my monitor has been color calibrated and while it isn't the best monitor it is a heck of a lot better now than it was before i calibrated it. at least now when i look at a picture i've taken with the camera it has some resemblance of color to what i see out there.

i was daydreaming about getting a better monitor but the funds for that just aren't there now... it was interesting and fun to read about the various color spaces and what the different technologies and monitors could actually support. no way i could possibly spring for a monitor in the $5,000 range... but it was something worth day dreaming about for a while.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Such beautiful pics @flowerbug! I love the stonescaping, makes such a nice contrast to the flowers and greenery. Particularly those purple flowers in the 4th pic down. That really looks good. Did you create this whole garden yourself? I see significant stone mosaic works in there, and even a pillar, love those too. Did you make those? That one stand of beans with the seemingly purple stems, those seem ahead of the rest!

none of this was planned. Mom's been at it for 25yrs here, i've been here at least 15yrs. all the stone work and decorations are Mom's ideas, i just help move things and haul stuff and try to get her to consider some basic engineering and physics when she does something. of course after i walk away she does it how she wants. :) then i get to bitch about it for 15yrs. win-win. :)

the birdbaths are the things i like the most. the pillar with the upside down bowl on it is really supposed to be another birdbath but we already have two in that area so having yet another one seemed kinda pointless so we just leave it alone as it is. there's a bunch of other things around, benches, sun dial, wishing well, pyramid, lighthouse, garden gates, stepping stones and slab of edges she made. the only thing i did that she sort of listened to me was the pillars for the garden gates and she really wanted an arch but that wasn't going to happen with the materials we had.

the beans with the red stems (Purple Dove) were planted a week later than the Fort Portal Jade plants so i think that was May 22ndish for those. they're close to being ready to bloom. the FPJs are about 1/3 of their size. the FPJ seedlings sprouted and came up but then sat there in the heat for three weeks and did hardly anything at all. the cooler weather and rains gave them a 2nd chance.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
my monitor has been color calibrated
I didn't even know that there was such a thing. Probably a real extravagance but especially for a person with poor color vision (😳 like me).

Along your lines of bird baths, FlowerBug, my own extravagant orientation and sympathy for the local sparrows in this extreme weather, I'm thinking of setting an up-ended toilet plunger out with water ...

I will have it mostly hidden in a rose bush that the sparrows are ever so helpful at keeping clean of aphids. Be comfortable knowing that I will NOT be posting a picture of it on your thread.

:D Steve