stubbed toes and mud pies

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
every time i think the connection is working again it fools me, but today so far has been the most normal day for a welcome change. nice to get my updates and to actually watch a short video of the water release from Oroville Resevoir.

quite a change from drought to at least a good water year.

snowing a little today and pretty cold. that's ok for now. i still have plenty to do here inside a few extra days/weeks won't hurt.

garden club meeting this week.

spring is getting here. days are sure getting longer and more sun is happening instead of all clouds.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wish I had a gardening club to go to! You are so lucky.

start one! :)

if you can find a reliable venue (our local library has been supportive enough).

i still consider this an early starting up group as we have so far three or four regular members but it may sometimes be only me who is there. that is ok. i'm enjoying it as it is going. very informal.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@AMKuska , you are so close to WSU extension office.

They used to always have things going on over there.

I even traveled to attend a couple.
I go to WSU all the time to help out the animal scientists there! They ask my dog questions like "but is it my expression that helps you decide what's a good choice, or my tone of voice?" There is no wrong answer, they just want opinions, and after 16 rounds of treats I practically have to roll them out the door.

I checked their website but I'm confused as to how to find the gardening stuff.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
start one! :)

if you can find a reliable venue (our local library has been supportive enough).

i still consider this an early starting up group as we have so far three or four regular members but it may sometimes be only me who is there. that is ok. i'm enjoying it as it is going. very informal.
I might do that. I don't really know that much about gardening though, so I'm not sure how helpful I'd be.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I might do that. I don't really know that much about gardening though, so I'm not sure how helpful I'd be.

oh! haha! it's ok. we all started from scratch.

in terms of some things you are much further along than me (starting peppers was not something i spent much time with i was more into roses, tomatoes and some flowers along with the house plants as a kid). beans i did some but many more came along more recent years.

at 19F last night and 17F predicted for tonight i don't think i'll be gardening much for a bit.

the amaryllis flower stalks are about a foot tall for the fastest, but i have some that are just now poking up too. looks like i have at least five flower stalks.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
oh! haha! it's ok. we all started from scratch.

in terms of some things you are much further along than me (starting peppers was not something i spent much time with i was more into roses, tomatoes and some flowers along with the house plants as a kid). beans i did some but many more came along more recent years.

at 19F last night and 17F predicted for tonight i don't think i'll be gardening much for a bit.

the amaryllis flower stalks are about a foot tall for the fastest, but i have some that are just now poking up too. looks like i have at least five flower stalks.
I think I've done relatively well in the garden thanks to this forum. Every time something weird happens I scurry off here and often get tons of good advice. Sewing too!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we have some flowers up and blooming. the usual earliest blue and white and a bit of yellow in them small bulb irises.

i'm not going to get any pictures of them this season as it has snowed on them overnight and i also don't feel like fighting my way through the gate anytime soon (we tie it shut with strips of cloth and Mom's usual practice for things like that is to tie them in knots).

but i can post the link to this previously taken picture because i do love the color and habit of these first thing in the season. :)

100_5961_My_Lady_Blue_thm.jpg

internet connection is still not working very well some times, the past few days were so bad i finally got through to the ISP and had an actual response. so at least it did improve that afternoon for a while but as i could sign on i still could not get any page to come up well enough to post any replies. i gave up... again... so this morning first thing while the traffic is light i'm able to get things to post. :) so hi peoples of TEG. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
ISP came out today and put a different antenna/dish on and a longer pole and "adjusted" things. so now i'm back to on-line again. dude said they have plans to upgrade the tower i use too this spring. hmm... ok... hope it all works out. so far so good, taking today a day at a time, or even moment-to-moment.

we have spring birdies returning, though i don't consider them spring birds when the Bluejays come back through i know that the rest are soon to follow. the Cardinals were calling quite a while ago, so they are residents here year-round, still when i hear them calling more it reminds me that things are moving along.

and now it is the 2nd day of spring already?

Robins showed up a few days ago, yesterday it was the Killdeer, last Friday it was the Grackles - usually with the Grackles would come along the Redwing Blackbirds, have not seen them yet this season, but i suspect they will be along soon.

as for flowers, the crocuses popped up, some are purple, but now i see hints of yellow out there so some of those will be out. rabbits and deer are likely to get everything this year.

the amaryllis plants are doing ok, almost to flowering, eight flower stalks total so far. you'd think i really babied them but they are withstanding my mostly benign neglect. repotting every 2nd or 3rd year, semi-regular watering and a ENE exposure. not what i'd call prime conditions. the AC and heat vent is right there too. i need to redirect that AC flow with a box at some point. it's just not doing the plants much good having that on them when it kicks in...

things out there always look pretty grim to me at this time of the season before everything greens up and more flowers come out but it will be ok. it always is. trees being chewed on by deer, dead things that didn't make it from last year and looking at a lot of work that will need to get done eventually... as they say, life does go on... :)

Latest posts