stubbed toes and mud pies

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
yesterday was a prime example of "stubbed toe" i was walking along a pathway and picking up gravel from the neighboring garden to put it back in the pathway as i was going along and since i'm near the edge i didn't notice a snag and i'm bent over and moving forwards while my foot is caught and not moving with me so i wipe out and land hard on the gravel pathway.

if i'd had my glasses on it would have been much much worse as i landed on the side of my face/eye, the hat and sweatband did help there a lot (whew!) and that shoulder took a lot of damage too but i think that was a good thing because it spread the impact, also my left arm, left knee. i was also most of the way down already because i was bent over and grabbing gravel so i only had a shorter distance to fall (gravity does not give up or cooperate with wishful thinking).

i expected blood and a black eye, but after coming in and checking things out (making sure no bones were sticking out too) i only had a mark near my eye and a beat up shoulder.

my left shoulder has already been complaining about something i don't know what i did to it but this crash did not make it worse. i was able to mow and do other things yesterday without further issues.

even when trying to be careful sometimes i still screw up. :( such is life...

today i need to water and that and getting ready for a potential frost later is about all i'll have time to do. ashes are going to be delivered today and i have a spot to stack the buckets already set up.
Ouch, that's painful!
When such things happen, we always say that you run out of bad luck for the coming years. Please take some good care and rest. :hugs

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yesterday was a lighter day anyways due to scheduling of a few things and then garden club. i'm glad how that worked out because yesterday was cold out there with the breeze.

i'll get out today and get more gardens ready for planting. it will be warmer and nicer than yesterday, but this morning is cold. we had frost for sure last night so i'm glad i covered up the bean plants.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flowerbug, be careful! That's what I always said to my preschoolers when they got hurt. lol. Glad you are ok cause it could have been worse.

Just got back from 2 weeks in Italy and horrors of horrors I got weeds! I'm also sick and my husband surprised me by cleaning the coop and weeding. He did almost all of it. Today I'm feeling better and was able to direct sow some bush beans and more of the Petite Gris de Rennes. I had some growing but wanted more plants. I don't have good luck with direct sowing since pill bugs or something always eat things as soon as they sprout but I'm going to keep a close eye out.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flowerbug, be careful! That's what I always said to my preschoolers when they got hurt. lol. Glad you are ok cause it could have been worse.

yes, on top of that i know very well by now that Grace is not a trait i exhibit or embody or even have a faint whiff of...

Just got back from 2 weeks in Italy and horrors of horrors I got weeds! I'm also sick and my husband surprised me by cleaning the coop and weeding. He did almost all of it. Today I'm feeling better

yay! :) i'm glad you were able to get away for a vacation and i hope you had fun? :) hope you feel better sooner rather than later.

your husband is very nice and i hope it was a nice surprise indeed.

and was able to direct sow some bush beans and more of the Petite Gris de Rennes. I had some growing but wanted more plants. I don't have good luck with direct sowing since pill bugs or something always eat things as soon as they sprout but I'm going to keep a close eye out.

good luck and let us know how they're doing!

it is still a few weeks away from direct sowing here for melons, but i have my seeds ready and selected. i'm very tempted to try growing some outside the fenced gardens as i have plenty of seeds and to see if the deer will let them fruit or not or if they'll eat them, etc. i'm thinking based upon last year that it might not be a really useful attempt..

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'd want to advertise that I have a garden full of food for more animals haha. I already lie low and pretend there is no food in my yard to fool critters haha. Afraid that if the deer like them they will bring everyone they know under the sun!

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... Afraid that if the deer like them they will bring everyone they know under the sun!

we already have that, in the winter we have herds of deer that graze our cedar trees. they've really munched a lot of them back to almost nothing below how high they can reach.

DSC_20230405_110923-0400_1876_Sentinels_thm.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
calling the plumper today. :(

ok, plumper has been here, checked it out, blew out the pressure tank. they'll be back later to replace. 27 years old, stuff happens (still cheaper than a monthly water bill).

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
plumper didn't get it right, well guy had to come out and check things and also fixed what the plumpers didn't do right. we have water again (good thing because i do have to water).

weeding and other gardening today (at last!). :) :) :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
grr! when watering the pressure was not adequate. dang it. hate to have to call them back again, but i can't water all these gardens with this low of pressure and have enough time for doing other things...

Latest posts