stubbed toes and mud pies

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i found out today that i knew more after 20 minutes of watching two youtube videos than 2/3rds of the plumper guys who did this stuff for a living WTH?! yeesh...

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My husband is nodding his head in agreement Flowerbug. He has found that most household plumbing is not difficult. Like you, he watches a lot of YouTube videos, and takes books out of the library sometimes too.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband is nodding his head in agreement Flowerbug. He has found that most household plumbing is not difficult. Like you, he watches a lot of YouTube videos, and takes books out of the library sometimes too.

i'm not sure to be annoyed at the person who outright said that something could not be adjusted to a higher pressure when in fact it could. was it ignorance or deception? i don't think i want to give them any more chances.

sick of this for sure...

moving on...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yesterday was also the first part of the 12th Annual Running of the Worms aka taking the worm compost buckets out of the house and using them as fertilizer for the new plantings. each onion gets some to help them along. it really does make a difference.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
today has been so far mostly about planting some lima beans, watering and then getting going on planting tomatoes. it's a bit warm out there already at about 83F and no breeze. i decided i better take a break before seeing how many more tomatoes i can get done. it would be nice to finish them all today but in order to do that i may have to do six more after this break and then wait until later today to finish the rest.

tomorrow i need to start 2-3hrs earlier.

i use four buckets of worm compost for 15 tomato plants.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
much earlier start today so i was able to get stuff dug that needed digging and then get the tomatoes in and moved on to planting all the peppers.

this is good to have all the starts in so now i can move on to melons, squash and beans in all the remaining spaces. :)

peppers get one bucket of worm compost and then the melons get one.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
usually the onion flowers are busy with all sorts of bee species including bumble bees. this year i've not seen any bumble bees at all. i'm also not seeing many other bees besides the honey bees.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
all the worm buckets that were going out to the gardens have now been used up, which means now i have to get them restarted again. i have 12 lbs of really bad navy pea beans to use up (gifted to us from a friend but they have so much dirt and flaws in them that i don't want to waste the time to go through them) so those will make excellent worm food used in the bottom of the buckets when i get them going again.

today was melon and squash planting day for inside the fence. tomorrow i'll do a few more holes in one garden i started today and then start working outside the fence to plant more squash and melons that might end up being eaten by deer, but also since i'm out of worm compost they're likely to not be as productive as i'd like them to be. plus some of them will be going into gardens where squash has been grown for many years so overall i have about zero expectations from these plantings, but i'd rather do them anyways than not.

in one garden there was already a melon plant starting so i left that plant alone. since i only had planted one kind of melon last year i know what kind it is. i've introduced two other melons this season to see how they do in comparison so it will be fun. if all these plantings survive i'm going to be giving away a lot of melon this year (all hills will have to be thinned back heavily if most of the seeds do sprout).

everything planted so far is looking to be doing ok as usual so i'm glad for that. each morning watering and checking on things takes a bit more time as i get further along, but at least when starting all these plantings they are well soaked in so i don't have to take as much time to wet them down so it's an interesting trade off. only rains give me a break and there are none of those in sight in the forecast.

currently also working with reduced water pressure so that's going to slow things down further. still wondering if that's going to be changed soon or not...

oh, and i tried to take some pictures this morning. i've not even had time to look at them yet.

tomorrow will be another day... :)

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
did talk to the well guy and he now has us down for another visit sometime in the next several days. we do have water so it isn't an emergency it's just low pressure and it takes too long to do much watering and we can't really run two faucets at once or not much else. so hopefully we'll be able to get that adjusted upwards...

finished planting the melons, most of the squash are now done and everything got a shot of water. it's really coming along ok considering that the afternoons are roasting. the peppers and tomatoes look to be happy with the heat, not sure the peas are happy, but they are green and growing, the earliest beans are a bit yellowing from frost damage and some of them are not looking to make it, but i don't want to pull them out quite yet (even if developmentally they'll probably grow and produce better if i just replace some of those with fresh seeds). pretty much after tomorrow's squash plantings i'll then be moving on to all bean planting filling in any remaining spaces.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
squirrels are not too common here as there is a lot of open ground and hawks on the wing. we see them at times in the north hedge/treeline, but there are no oak trees or other nut trees up this side of the big ditch.

today not only did i see a squirrel, but it was a black squirrel. this is the first time i've seen one here in all the years (27) i've been visiting or living here. there is a population of them about a half mile to the north of us where some black walnut trees and the local park with plenty of other trees (including oaks) but it is very much open farm fields between here and there unless they're venturing this way via the large or small ditches.

as usual it was running for its life. that is the most often way i see squirrels here. hawks...

Latest posts