Stupid commercials

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Coca Cola's latest.... Knocking a bottle out of someone's mouth and think it's funny? That action could have easily broken a couple of teeth. I shudder every time I see it.
What were they thinking:th.

Annette

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is nothing in a bottle of coke that has any nutrition or that is good for you. So I guess they have to appeal to the idiot side of people.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
What?????? Sugar (energy), caffein (?) and food coloring isn't good for me? Surely the water is though right? Man, that really blows my mind. Here I thought of it as medicinal...

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
What?????? Sugar (energy), caffein (?) and food coloring isn't good for me? Surely the water is though right? Man, that really blows my mind. Here I thought of it as medicinal...
Seed, coke becomes medicinal ONLY when one adds some " White Lightnin " or some other medicinal liquid such as Rum to it. :p

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
They should really ask the average consumer before they run some of these campaigns. Humor only works when it is shared. Apparantly "Flo" on the Progessive commercials (Stephanie Courtney) helps to write them. She is a comedian and has excellent timing, like on the recent "swear jar for bad bundle jokes." We are all familiar with a swear jar, so the joke works.
I am not a die hard fan of DISH, which I have, but if Direct TV wants my business they need a new ad agency. I find ALL of their commercials mildly offensive because THEIR timing AND their writing stinks. Consider their new ad campaign about "turning back time." One commercial suggests that the couple made a mistake having their son. =/
They could have used a mistaken haircut, or mistaken tattoo, or the wrong car.
I am SURE that the writers think that they are AWFULLY clever, but I tell jokes all of the time and only self deprecation can be used to be cutting and critical. I also liken topics to unrelated issues and everybody giggles at that. Absurdity is funny and that's how my mind works. It's like noticing faces in the wallpaper, or in electric outlets. When you point it out, everybody sees it and shares in the joke with you. IT would be a good visual on a commercial showing that everybody in the room is shocked, inCLUDING the power outlets.
ALSO, cutting remarks about people you DON'T know are best shared with family and VERY close friends ONLY. For example, I remarked recently that a famous wealthy political woman should spend the money towards her next suit on a month of Nutrisystem, because it will cost her less. YOU would think poorly of me if I told you who I was talking about, but my DH LOL over coffee, because the comment came out of the blue. Surprise is also funny.
Two commercials that I absolutely love are these.
EVERYTHING you want to tell your kid about driving! Plus, the underlying theme is that this car is so easy to handle that a child could drive it.

and
So sweet! Loving and affectionate but G rated depiction of a couple and ONE viewing and you KNOW what they are selling.

Last edited:

Latest posts