Stupid commercials

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
don't really drink soda anymore now maybe I know why now :barnie
was spending too much on them way back... but did make big milestone and have not committed murder yet
quit smoking using the wonder drug Chantix my best bud and my self
safe to say that now after 3 months

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Penny, hang in there. You are not out of the woods yet, especially if someone else around you smokes. I quit cold turkey (after several tries) after smoking 22 years. No drugs, no programs, I just decided to quit. Believe it or not once I decided I really wanted to quit it wasn't that hard. But my wife still smoked. After two years I started back up, just having one after supper. Soon I was back to two packs a day. After three more years of smoking we both quit. That was a lot harder than the first time. Penny, do everything you can to not even have just one. if the drugs help, use them. It's hard but I'm pulling for you.

NYBOY I found that until I was really ready to quit, I wasn't going to quit. No drug can make you quit, no program can make you quit, no one else can make you quit. Use any crutch you can to help you quit, but only you can really make the difference. You have to really want to, not just mouth the words.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Way to go @PennyJo and @Ridgerunner I can imagine stopping smoking to be very hard. So glad I never took up the habit. And Ridge is right about having to be in the right frame of mind. Same for weight lose. Thankfully I seem to be there now.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was a long time ago. Now the smell of cigarette smoke makes me a nauseated. I think I'm safe. But just because I managed to quit does not give me the right to hold moral judgment over other people. It's been decades but I still remember how rude and ineffective that behavior was when people tried to pull it on me.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner
Even my Mom I love and hold more dearly than my own life hated me to continue to smoke
(she and my step dad had quit about 20 years ago now)... Mom is very deep in dementia now
and I am unable to tell her that she remembers from day to day... We had been demoted to second
class citizens as smokers and I really enjoyed smoking but took me this long 56 to say you know it is time
we used the chantix but I as only at day 9 on the pills

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
PennyJo, it wasn't the smoking. It was love of you and concern for your long term health that had your parents trying to get you to stop.

Like any addiction, stopping is not easy. I've never smoked. Didn't use drugs. Seldom drink. I tell people who discuss "why don't they just stop" that my addiction of choice is pancakes. Stopping isn't easy. I know how difficult it can be. In the case of food addiction, however, there is nothing like Cold Turkey. It is relearning moderation, appetite control, body signals long lost that clue one they have had enough.* As well as relearning what is body nourishment and what is trash calories.

A smoker friend was often on my case for being overweight. She was clearly able to control her eating, she said. Why couldn't I. Couldn't get her to see that her smoking, in a great part, was her weight control.

So I've always understood the difficulty of quitting smoking, quitting anything addictive. In fact, I was once told by a medical practitioner that I had an addictive personality. Why? Because I typically read a book a day for over 40 years. Not the worst of addictions, but there was certainly a lot of "productive" things I could have done with that time.

Wish my son didn't smoke! Spouse watched his father die of lung disease. That was his incentive to quit long before I met him. Didn't stop his brother though and his brother died of lung disease as well.

I am happy you are quitting. It is a good thing, but more than that, I will be your friend no matter what happens in the future. I want what's best for you.

* See, I'm still defending food addiction aren't I? Yup.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Smart Red You say food addiction but we all need it to survive!!, I always did my book by cassette
as I was driving to some dog show... think I replaced that now with chickens