Succession planting plants

pjkobulnicky

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We all know the nursery business for vegetables (in temperate climates) is based on the rule that they all make their money on the six weeks of planting from mid April to June.

Has anyone observed a business model that works on making succession plants available for much more of the growing season ... appropriate lettuces all summer long, coles and other greens for Fall crops, etc. I start all my own plants but I wonder if there is a niche market for succession plants.

Paul

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What I've noticed is a sustained demand (fairly small, however) for perennials. And, since I'm mostly interested in edibles - edible perennials, aka herbs.

Steve

chickensoup

Sprout
Reaction score
Check out the Growing For Market website, some of the listserve members are using grow tunnels or green houses to grow all year. Selling to resturants could easily be extended for the length of your growing season it seems to me. There are customers who are asking what is ready for sale right now! Sadly, I have to tell them not much yet.
Larry

pjkobulnicky

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Maybe I mis-represented my interest.

Has anyone observed a business where one can purchase starter plants for placing into the garden later in the season? I can go to local nurseries today (April) and find lots of starter plants for lettuce, collards, etc but if I go to those same nurseries in July looking for starter plants to set out fall cauliflower, for example, I will find only empty benches.

Does anyone know of a business that does mid-season starter plants. It is business I might like to do and I am looking to see if there are models out there.

Paul

OCMG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Paul,
That is one reason why I am doing all seed starting myself. You cannot find any other started plants after June. I like cold weather plants and in NJ you will not get any late crops for sale in the local markets, is that what you are asking?

To be honest I think that is why you will not find many people planting late crops, they just do not know there is such a thing.

This is my first year attempting the "winter garden"
I think if you get the word out you will get many interested in this.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm with OCMG -- relatively few gardeners KNOW about succession planting, and those that do are probably already starting their own plants (often by preference). There might well be an untapped large group of people out there who would buy later-season starts if they knew about them (although frankly a lot of people get pretty fed up with their gardens round about July-August ;)), BUT the problem is that they don't tend to go into garden centers in the first place at that time of year, and thus are unlikely to stumble on them.

I know you were asking about practical business experience, not the consumer end of things, but still. It's something to consider.

Good luck,

Pat

pjkobulnicky

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I agree with all that you all say. I also think, however, that if you can educate customers then you get to sell to them first.

Many years ago, and for a few years running, I lived in the country and I did a seedling bed of cauliflower, broccoli, kale and collards that I grew from seed intended to be transplants for Fall crops. I advertised in the local newspaper and sold them, in clumps dug out of the bed, at 10 cents a plant. I made a good bit of money relative to my investment. Then I moved and stopped.

If I did it again, I would do very common plants and sell them at farmers markets or advertise in local papers.

I was just wondering if anyone out there knew of others with a (reasonably) successful business.

Paul