Suggest something new for the garden

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My husband and I spent all weekend fencing in our raised bed garden and have some wood left over to build a few more "built-in" beds. I have way too many tomatoes and peppers of different varieties, a bed still full of beautiful lettuce, another with cabbage, broccoli, and brussel sprouts. I have lots of yellow and zucchini squash. I consider this my first "real" garden, so are there any other suggestions anyone can make for things a beginner may grasp quickly-ideally from seed?

The garden is also fenced with heavy wire, so I could build beds along the edges and take advantage of the fence for things that climb..Any fun suggestions?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Along the wire, cucumbers or pole beans.

For something quick and easy from seeds, radishes. Almost guaranteed success.

Nothing wrong with an herb garden. You can start from seeds but transplants ar probably better. Think about fresh oregano, thyme, chives, and sage in a permanent spot Try basil as an annual.

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks!! Melons might be good..I do have some watermelon planted and I don't care for cantaloupe..

Do cucumbers climb? Is one type better than another?

With onions, I bought some small onion "sets" from Tractor supply, but am confused...I couldn't find where it indicated the type/size of the onion other than "red onion".. How will I know? I'm inclined to think these are smaller onions...What if I want big red ones, though? Do those come in sets?

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
have found that buying those dried out little sets gets small onions. If youwant big onions go to the nursery and get a brick of live onion shoots. its like planting individual blades of grass... but they grow so fast and get so big its worth the hours on your belly in the garden!!!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cucumbers do climb. There are many varieties but two basic types I'm aware of, slicing and pickling. If you are going to mainly make pickles, get the pickling type. They are crisper when pickled. The slicers get much bigger and are really good eaten raw, like in salads. You can pickle slicers and eat picklers raw, but they are named what they are for a reason.

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
have found that buying those dried out little sets gets small onions. If youwant big onions go to the nursery and get a brick of live onion shoots. its like planting individual blades of grass... but they grow so fast and get so big its worth the hours on your belly in the garden!!!
Thanks, I have seen these, I think. They were banded together, but instead of small dried bulbs, looked like tiny complete onions..I also couldn't find a marked variety, though, so was worried!

Ridgerunner, can you recommend a slicing cucumber variety that you like?

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
AllyRodrigues said:
sparkles2307 said:
Thanks, I have seen these, I think. They were banded together, but instead of small dried bulbs, looked like tiny complete onions..I also couldn't find a marked variety, though, so was worried!

Ridgerunner, can you recommend a slicing cucumber variety that you like?
I'm not Ridgerunner but I like,
Marketmore 76,
Stonewall,
Bush Champion,
and Straight 8

Chris

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I definitely think you need some kind of climbing PEA, sugar snaps are my favorite thing in the whole garden. And cucumbers for sure, my favorite has been a slicer variety called "muncher" - they're delicious. If you still have more trellis room left, a pole bean would be my next choice, but you could do a bush-type bean if you just have regular garden space.

Latest posts