Suggest something new for the garden

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How about some Garlic (I'm growing red spanish (aka Roja)), tomatillo's (used in salsa's), corn... Shallots.. Shallots are really easy as are Garlic. Another few that come to mind -- spinach, swiss chard (and other greens), beets.. ;)

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks so much, guys!

I go have garlic in some spots in the backyard, and have since planted pole and bush beans, swiss chard, yellow and zucchini squash, and cucumbers. Now that my cabbage, broccoli, and brussel sprouts are bolting, I'll have even more space to fill!

Also, last night I picked up several leaves of the broccoli, brussel sprouts (with the flowering stalks), and green cabbage leaves and ribboned them all up in a pan with some garlic. I cooked them until tender and it was a healthy and delicious mix! I'm so excited that I won't have to waste all that green stuff!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just a few days ago planted a new variety called purpleacock broccoli. Ferallthworld it looks like Kale, but a few years ago a smart person crossed Kale and Broccoli and came up with this. Supposed to be an excellent sprouting broccoli, and as good a Kale as Russian red, who i think the father was.

I'm not as smart as that famous breeder. I have seed that I crossed of Purple Sprouting Broccoli and an unknown Savoy Hybrid Cabbage that was given to me. I'm just hoping to get a Purplish Savoy leaved Collards that makes good sprouts. We'll see. I plan on planting the seeds, a few each week, from June 1st to september 1st. Who knows what they'll turn out to be!

What would happen if I cross these with Kohlrabi, save those seeds, then cross those with Brussels Sprouts, save those seeds, plant them, and cross those plants with Cauliflower...

I'm getting old enough to be curious to find the answers because nobody else seems to be!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ally, our cool season is running out! It shouldn't be, but I think we skipped the whole cool season all together!? Did you notice your greens (lettuce, brocolli, cabbage) starting to bolt or go to flower? Mine has, and they were barely getting started. The heat has stunted my pea's growth and they haven't even gotten tall enough to flower when I planted back at the end of February!

I have corn going strong, and pole beans going... so you probably want to get those things in. I'm starting squash this week, and already got some pumpkins going. My garlic is getting close to done I planted in October, and that's usually when we put in the garlic & onions.

I would go for cucumbers for sure... mix it up, maybe do some slicers and pickling types? They all say 'vining' on them, but you can train them to climb!

Enjoy!!!

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My favorite cucumber is Poona Kheera, an Indian one that produces like crazy all summer and has a beautiful sweet flavor. But you have to have rosemary!!!! Buy a small plant and you will soon have an unending supply of luscious rosemary! I can send you some poona kheera seeds....

Latest posts