Suggest something new for the garden

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Try some dry Beans

Indian Woman Yellow Bush
Tepary bush to tender short pole
Cherokee Trail of Tears for fresh or dry, pole

Or maybe some appalachian Greasies or Cutshorts!

Or sunflowers. They come in lots of heights, sizes and colors

Or maybe a naked seeded pumpkin for punkin seeds

How about a Winter Luxury pumpkin so cool

Breadseed poppy is a great unusual treat, and pretty

or use it to experiment with something like Hulless Oats or spring wheat

:watering

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you guys so much for these suggestions! You're such a helpful crowd. I have another questions about bolting if you'll try to help with, too.

Last year I planted cabbage, broccoli, and brussel sprout seeds in my raised beds. I believe I planted them in November-pretty late, but I had just built the beds and was eager to plant something. I expected them to die over the winter, but they didn't. With this strange warm weather, they have exploded in size so I left them alone to see if they would produce. The brussel sprouts went from being maybe 8 inches high to between 4-5 feet tall. Since I had never grown them, I thought this was supposed to happen. This week, there are small yellow flowers at the top, though, and I believe this is actually them bolting...Actual brussel sprouts never formed at all along the stalk.. Did I do something wrong?

Same thing with the cabage. Just when a head was starting to form..I can see it separating and "seeds" inside..

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's the dang unseasonably warm weather...it signaled your plants to make seed...

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That stinks..I've been waiting to eat something for months! Can you do anything productive with the dark green loose cabbage leaves or the broccoli/brussel sprout stalks and leaves? Anything other than chicken/bunny food?

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How about a herb garden...Basil, dill, chives did I mention Basil?..perfect for those tomatoes

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
AllyRodrigues said:
My husband and I spent all weekend fencing in our raised bed garden and have some wood left over to build a few more "built-in" beds. I have way too many tomatoes and peppers of different varieties, a bed still full of beautiful lettuce, another with cabbage, broccoli, and brussel sprouts. I have lots of yellow and zucchini squash. I consider this my first "real" garden, so are there any other suggestions anyone can make for things a beginner may grasp quickly-ideally from seed?

The garden is also fenced with heavy wire, so I could build beds along the edges and take advantage of the fence for things that climb..Any fun suggestions?
How about artichoke?
It should be perennial in your zone. Beautiful and delicious.
Pumpkins and sunflower , especially if you have kids.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The bolting:

The leaves, especially the younger tender ones, can be cooked like collards. The flower buds if still young can be used in stir fry. You can also leave 2 of each kind to go to seed for saving. If they cross, cool!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ally, don't neglect to replace that beautiful lettuce with something - bush beans are what work easiest for me. I can sow the seed right into summer and still get a nice crop from them. I am guessing that you should have longer than that unless it really gets too hot for the beans to get started. But, your lettuce will be on its way out before then, I'm sure.

I grow lots of Asian greens and you will find me on TEG talking about them all the time :p. There's a whole new world out there!

The long cucumbers could really make good use of your trellis. I like some of what are often called Japanese cucumbers. (There's that "Asian garden world" thing again. :cool:) A lot of American consumers would think of these long cucumbers as "English cucumbers." But, English cucumbers are probably those varieties that are grown in greenhouses. Japanese cucumbers like Tasty Green & Tasty King can grow fine in an open garden. They do fine in mine . . . except they aren't always straight. But then, I don't grow them on a trellis.

Steve