Super flavorful salad from the garden, mmmmm

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Decided to have a garden salad for supper tonight to go with the grilled and spiced chicken breast, went to the gardens and cut some chives with the flower head to add color, spearmint leaves, dill leaves, spinach, lettuce, sliced radishes, radish greens, home made croutons with ranch dressing and ground peppercorns, I can still taste it 20 minutes later now. I love the idea of not having to go to the grocery store to buy all the flavorless veggies for a great tasting salad...gonna have gardens till I die... Darn it, forgot to add my canned sweet pickled beets to it... won't forget next time. :p

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I had one of those too. :) Mine was mixed baby leaf lettuces, arugula, basil, and dill. My radishes were blown, and the tomatoes aren't ripe yet. I should have dressed it with garlic, lemon, olive oil and parmigiana, but I was lazy.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
trunkman said:
...gonna have gardens till I die...
Kind of the way I've thought about it.

Don't worry too much about those beets that time. There will be other beets . . .

Steve :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We've been eating on lettuce and spinach that I planted last Fall. This year's lettuces and radishes aren't ready yet, but I did harvest two 2012 radishes last night for our salad. Been eating on salad onions, too. Last Fall's radishes have decided to go to seed, so I'll let them and harvest the seeds from them for later. :D

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds delish, Trunkman! I harvested quite a bit of lettuce last night so we could have a salad tonight. Hope it tastes as good as yours sounds! This is the first time I have grown lettuce, so I'm really excited.

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
skeeter9 said:
Sounds delish, Trunkman! I harvested quite a bit of lettuce last night so we could have a salad tonight. Hope it tastes as good as yours sounds! This is the first time I have grown lettuce, so I'm really excited.
It's not like store bought iceberg lettuce both in flavor or texture, I love just going to the garden and getting supper, I now hate the months where I have to buy my salad....
:)

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh Trunkman I am so jelllllleousI have nothing in the ground yet...we have been having normal April weather for a while now so except for the garlic and peas in the raised bed and strawberries in the other raised bed nothing is out....

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
Oh Trunkman I am so jelllllleousI have nothing in the ground yet...we have been having normal April weather for a while now so except for the garlic and peas in the raised bed and strawberries in the other raised bed nothing is out....
Mom, I used to live in Raymond NH and moved down here in SC in 1995, we have about 6 months of warm weather crop growing season down here and mild winters for cold weather crops so it's year round gardening. I remember the growing season up there, so short, I'm still having a hard time getting used to our long climate... But when you do get garden salads you'll enjoy them that much more... :D

Latest posts