Supposed to be a cantaloupe

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You didn't taste it??? :th

40 lashes with a wet noodle for you! :p

The one in the photo looks pretty close to ripe, so be sure to taste the next one.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You didn't put something so wet and juicy in your mouth?! OMG!!!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Go pick and eat another one.

I have GOT to know how good they are so I can make you keep and send me seeds if you like. ;)

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
davaroo said:
PotterWatch said:
I stupidly didn't taste it. I could ask the chickens how it was...
What??!! You gave a perfectly good melon to some mangy chickens?? :ep

That's it - your Green Thumb will hereafter turn black unless you eat the next one.
If you don't, the Melon Faeries will curse you for good.
(Believe me, the Melon Faeries are not to be trifled with)
:lol: I am actually growing these specifically for the chickens. It gets really hot here and a couple chilled melon halves in the run really helps keep them cool and hydrated. I am the only person in my family who cares for cantaloupe, so I would be the only one eating them (I do plan on eating a couple of them). I will pick another one early next week I think and see how it is.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
PotterWatch said:
davaroo said:
PotterWatch said:
I stupidly didn't taste it. I could ask the chickens how it was...
What??!! You gave a perfectly good melon to some mangy chickens?? :ep

That's it - your Green Thumb will hereafter turn black unless you eat the next one.
If you don't, the Melon Faeries will curse you for good.
(Believe me, the Melon Faeries are not to be trifled with)
:lol: I am actually growing these specifically for the chickens. It gets really hot here and a couple chilled melon halves in the run really helps keep them cool and hydrated. I am the only person in my family who cares for cantaloupe, so I would be the only one eating them (I do plan on eating a couple of them). I will pick another one early next week I think and see how it is.
Of course the obvious questions now come to mind - -

Where did you get the seed and can I get some?

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bought them as started plants from the hardware store and from what I have read about plants like that, the seeds may or may not grow. I will be saving some though and I will be happy to share.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
PotterWatch said:
I bought them as started plants from the hardware store and from what I have read about plants like that, the seeds may or may not grow. I will be saving some though and I will be happy to share.
Ooooh, oooh! Me, too! A melon seed exchange... :weee

I have Israeli "Sun Jewel" and Armenian "Tigger" melons this year. I may also get a few banana melons if things work out. I will gladly send you some of all of these, from the best fruit I gather.

I also have reg'lar old cantalopes and watermelons, but then, so does everyone else. If you want some of those, let me know.

Send me your addy in a PM and I will prepare an envelope for you. I even have some nifty little seed packet/envelopes I downloaded from www.wintersown.org!

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would love to swap some seeds! Any tips on how I should treat the seeds to get the best germination rate? I have never saved seeds before. Do I just let them dry out in the air?

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
PotterWatch said:
I would love to swap some seeds! Any tips on how I should treat the seeds to get the best germination rate? I have never saved seeds before. Do I just let them dry out in the air?
Pick the best fruit of the bunch and take the seeds from that. Wash them and let them dry a day or two, in the sun if you can.

That's it.

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
davaroo said:
[I even have some nifty little seed packet/envelopes I downloaded from www.wintersown.org!
How cool is that?

I went to Home Depot today to get some bean seeds (Mother Earth News says now's the time to sow them for my area?) but I couldn't find them. And all their plants except for a few basil plants and some tomatoes were gone too. :(

There's not a "seed exchange" section of this board somewhere is there?

Edited to add: Look before you ask dumb questions, Amy. :lol:

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
AmyRey said:
davaroo said:
[I even have some nifty little seed packet/envelopes I downloaded from www.wintersown.org!
How cool is that?

I went to Home Depot today to get some bean seeds (Mother Earth News says now's the time to sow them for my area?) but I couldn't find them. And all their plants except for a few basil plants and some tomatoes were gone too. :(

There's not a "seed exchange" section of this board somewhere is there?

Edited to add: Look before you ask dumb questions, Amy. :lol:
Get quick growing bush beans if you are planting a late season crop.

Seed exchange? I never thought to look!

Latest posts