Sustainable Growing Project

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow! You guys got a lot done!! Still a lot of work to do, though.
When we had 2k sq ft of sod put in our front yard, we had a local nursery deliver 5 yards of amendment. They aren't around anymore, but there has to be one out there that can get some out to you. You may even be able to contact Waste Management and see if they have any compost they can sell you.
What I've done (and what my mom has always done) is amdend the soil with the cheapest stuff out there, along with horse manure. For the veggie garden I have now, I did half manure and half amendment. There are 3 sq ft bags at Home Depot for approx. $7, but I think buying it by the yard is going to be cheaper. Also, a tractor with a gannon or a couple of tillers are going to be in order!
That sure looks like a banana tree to me! I know they can grow in that area.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many times we talked about your tractor while we were out there this weekend!!! I am sooooo sore from all that digging and chopping. It's a good kind of sore though, the kind you don't mind because it was a job well done and for a good cause. :)

I do know of a local company that'll do a soil dump, assuming they're still around as well. I've used them twice before with great success. I never thought of Waste Management. That's worth a try, too. Great ideas. What we were talking about is a good rototilling, then amending, then rototilling again. We have access to a rototiller, so that should help.

I have NO idea what a gannon is. Yes, I truly am a city girl!

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There are different types of gannons, but we have one sort of like this. It breaks up that hard dirt really well... makes it a lot easier to till!!

Gannon_GP-and-Heavy-Duty-Bu.jpg

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ahhhhh. See, I would have called that a scooper thingy-dingy. :lol:

As I understand it, the gardeners are supposed to be out there tomorrow clearing the rest of that space. After that's done, we should have an idea of what we need to do next.

I don't know if I mentioned that one of our crew has offered to cover for a trailer rental. But they were also wondering . . . do you know if you have to have any kind of a special license to haul farm equipment/tractors here in Cali?

adoptedbyachicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow you really went to work! Lots done there for sure. Hard soil is a challenge, but the answer is to break it up with compost. Yes you have to physically break it up too, and mix the compost in well. If it tends to repack the right answer is to put in some stuff that is not too composted yet, like straw that was used as bedding. You have to watch what was bedded in it though and how well composted that is.

If you get any kind of digger out be sure you know how to trace that water line, and if there are any other underground services on the land. Gets expensive if you dig up anything other than dirt, and someone can get seriously hurt if you dig up electrical stuff.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder of that, April. Because this was so full of weeds, we're not quite sure where the water lines run. That's going to take some research, for sure, and some care as we proceed.

Although I wasn't out there to see it myself, I understand that the gardeners cleared out the rest of the weeds today!! I'll post more pix as soon as I can show you all what has been done.

I'll have to make some calls around about compost. My three little chickens don't generate enough composted material for that much space!

The official dedication is due to take place on Earth Day, so we have a lot to get going in the next few weeks!

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Backyard Buddies said:
I don't know if I mentioned that one of our crew has offered to cover for a trailer rental. But they were also wondering . . . do you know if you have to have any kind of a special license to haul farm equipment/tractors here in Cali?
Cool!
No, actually you don't. Not for a little tractor like ours, anyway. I'd imagine if it were oversized, you would need a Class A, but this will fit on just a regular car trailer. It has to be a beefy car trailer, but nothing too long or wide. I think we spent $40 on a trailer when we had to pick it up. Heck, DH has driven a tractor home from the rental place before. Yes... a tractor on the city streets. :/
Well, let's get an idea of when you guys will need it and I'll have to tell DH that he has a project! :lol: I'm sure you can rent drags and things like that for it, but it has that gannon with the scraper things on it.

adoptedbyachicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here in BC we have a Dial-before-you-dig number that we call, maybe your state has a similar program. anyway everyone that has any interest in the property shows up and marks the underground services. We have to register underground stuff here, it goes on the property registration for just this reason.

Anyway look into it before you dig up a sewer line because that's not the compost your looking for! LOL

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
No kidding! LOL. Thanks for the tip! I'll check into it. Chances are good that there's nothing other than water lines back there. The land sits behind the parking lot and backs up to a school field. It'd be an odd place to put gas lines, but you never know which is why it's best to check! :)

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Did you get the seeds? Did ya did ya did ya? :lol: Great piece of property you guys have there... and you should have heard me trying to explain to my grandma how I met you and how we're all connected. :barnie "I know her from a forum" just doesn't make sense to her....

Latest posts