Sustainable Growing Project

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Noooo! I just got home last night and haven't been to the church yet. I did get an email from Dave and Sarah who said that they met up with you. How fun!! I'm glad that you got to meet them and got to see the plot. It's huge, isn't it?!!

D & S said that they want to go ahead with the horse manure. How soon do you want to start collecting? :D

Do you need any more corn seeds? My cousin sent me some Illini X-Sweet seeds from where he lives in Illinois. I think there are over 4000 seeds and I know we can't plant all of those!

That's funny about your grandmother and not understanding all of this forum stuff. I find it easier to explain to people that we belong to the same chicken group and that we both know Mary even though we've not yet met ourselves. It'll be an even odder explanation when we finally meet over horse manure! :lol:

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
LOL Well it looks like we WILL meet over horse manure! :gig
I'll start collecting now... Lord knows they never stop producing!

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I wanted to share another progress picture with you all.

Here is a picture of the garden taken yesterday:

P1010643.jpg

Today, we also trimmed those trees to the right side of the picture. (No picture yet because the shear amount of debris that came out of the tree doesn't let you see what was really done.) Next week, we turn and till it and spread it with Carri's horse manure!!

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It has been a while, so I thought I'd post an update on the project.

On 4-5-2008, Carri (from here and BYC) and hubby came out to help with the project. They brought their tractor and went to work to see what they could do to break up the soil. There were parts of it that were great, and parts that were as hard as rock, some literally so! In various places under the soil are great big chunks of concrete that were dumped there over the years. Carri's hubby did an amazing job and it was great fun to finally meet Carri in person after corresponding about chickens and gardens all this time.

Here's a picture of the garden after they were done:

P1010703a-1.jpg

We've gotten much advice since they were there about breaking up the soil further (Gotta love the Cooperative Extension) which will be followed. Some of that involves more manure, Carri, so keep it coming!

Yesterday, 4-12-2008, was another work day. A group of the guys set about measuring and setting down stakes to mark the spots for the orchard trees. Then, another group began the process of digging the holes. A group of gals set about marking off some of the planting areas. Then, soil was shoveled from the paths to create raised beds and supplemented with compost. Holes were dug and watered to prepare for the tomato plants to go in.

After the evening service, a group went out, the garden was blessed, and the first plants went into the ground!
:ya :clap :rose :weee :dance :ya :clap

Donations have been coming in to pay for the fruit trees and soil amendments.

This week the final marking off will be completed and several soil areas prepared for more planting! Dedication day is next Sunday!

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We had another work day today ahead of our dedication tomorrow on Earth Day.

The right side orchard was planted with what we could find so far. We planted:

Citrus: Valencia Orange, Mexican Lime, Nagami Kumquat, Algerian Mandarin (Clementine), and Meyer Lemon. We have a spot reserved for a Moro Blood Orange and hope to find one more spot for a grapefruit. There is already a Eureka lemon and a mystery citrus planted there.

Nectarine (planted using the Wilson Backyard Orchard Culture method): Goldmine, Snow Queen, and a NectaPlum (a hybrid cross between nectarine and plum).

Peach: (Wilson method): Red Baron, Babcock, and August Pride.

Apple: (Wilson method): Fuji, Gala, and Granny Smith.

We still have a few more holes to fill. Our hopes are to plant a set of plums, a set of apricots, a set of Pears (if we can find a Hood/Floridahome match) and another set of apples.

17 tomato plants are in. Another large bunch of artichokes are in (didn't count them).

We purchased but haven't yet planted some raspberry and blackberry plants. We still hope to grow blueberry, but those need to be potted here in So. Cal.

Tomorrow we will plant a fig tree as the dedication tree for the priest to whom the garden will be dedicated. Church members and the family and friends of this priest will be on hand for the dedication of the garden, and for the ceremonial planting of loads of marigolds.

When I get a chance, I'll post more pictures!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Shelly!!

Looks like everything is going great! We are going to be planting some stuff in the garden tomorrow too. I still want to see a picture of those parrots. :D

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey J! Great to see ya! Sure, I'll post some pictures of the parrots, if they'll hold still long enough for me to actually take a picture. :lol: They sure are loud! The parrots are going to be one of our critter challenges. I'm sure they'll be quite glad that we planted all of those fruit trees!

Make sure you post somewhere what you planted. I love Spring and seeing what everyone begins to grow!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Its great to see you too! Im still waiting on that email! :p What kind of parrots are they?! Man, I bet they are going to be trouble, especially since they can chew through anything! I'll be sure to post somewhere, my grandma and I are too excited and went nuts buying plants and seeds! :rolleyes:

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
theOEGBman said:
What kind of parrots are they?!
Ummm. Green ones??? :p

Yeah, I know I still owe you an email (hangs head in shame). I've been working on this project every weekend and the one weekend we didn't is the one where we went to Nor. Cal to visit our friends during Easter weekend. I haven't forgotten you!

I am sooooo sore this morning! We worked really hard yesterday. I leave in a couple of hours for the dedication and I'll post more pix in the next few days.

Please do make a post about your new garden! I wanna see update pix and everything!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Haha, I can name off a few green ones! Quakers, Amazons, Ringnecks...I need more hints! :p

Ahh, its fine. Im sore too, we did a lot of work. I cant wait to see updated pics! I thought mine was going to be big this year, but yours is massive! Watch for a post, I'll be sending one out in a few. :D

Latest posts