Sweet Basil Turning Black?!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I put my basil out in the garden a few days ago. Everyone was doing GREAT! In fact, yesterday I planted some tomatoes and they looked wonderful. Today I went out to water everyone and the top leaves just on my sweet basil were black?! They still had their shape, and some spots that looked eaten by bugs but not a lot.

They look burned?!

I did wait to water yesterday until about 4-4:30 because I wanted to wait until my daughter took a nap. Do you think it burned the leaves, or do you think I need to worry about a fungus?

My thai basil is fine and doesn't look anything like it... my tomatoes are fine too!?

ARGH! :barnie

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It could well be they just weren't hardened off enough. I'd put shade/windblock out for them and see what happens.

Hopefully it is not basil fusarium wilt, which is incurable and tends to stay resident in the soil.

Good luck,

Pat

GoldenGryphon

Sprout
Reaction score
Howdy!
I have to agree. It sounds like you got a bit of tip burn. I'd just pinch the affected bits off, give everything a really good drink and some grow juice of your choice, then set up a temporary shade screen. Just to cover all of the basics. I wouldn't worry too much about fungus or bugs unless you start seeing more damage than a couple of spots on the top leaves.
It could have been something as simple as a few water drops focussing the sunlight in a way the plant wasn't ready for. I wouldn't worry too much. Yet.

Best of luck!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I looked up basil fusarium wilt, the infected plants I saw were droopy and brown... looks like it was in the stems as well. My leaves are BLACK. Looks like a coat of soot.

These were Bonnie Bell plants (yes Home Depot) but I got them from being out in the sun there, and they looked great. I'm going to go ahead and do a partial cover here in a minute.

They won't be in total full sun for long anyways, they are surrounded by tomatoes. I even found a bloom on one of my tomatoes right next to it, so I super freaked it was something that would spread then!!!!

My thai again looks GORGEOUS! (And my goodness does it ever smell GREAT!!!!!)

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Did it get a little cold there last night? Something in the mid to high 30's, low 40's might damage those tender tips. Just another idea. Good luck! :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nope... last night's low was 50. In fact, it was cooler then night before!

Maybe I'll go take a photo.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok... here's some photos.

basil1.jpg

basil2.jpg

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, that looks to me like they are probably just overexposed to sun, possibly with some root damage as well (from transplanting or from being too wet). I'd shade and protect them, and be nice to them, and they should outgrow it.

Good luck,

Pat

Latest posts