Sweet potato question

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would never freeze a pie. I am sure they are OK but not for me.
You, Cat, have never enjoyed the pleasure of munching on a pie pop?
When I was young, mom would bake several pies and freeze them for later. We kids quickly learned that frozen, baked pies were delicious eaten after school.
Then mom switched to freezing unbaked pies. Totally fouled up a great treat.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You, Cat, have never enjoyed the pleasure of munching on a pie pop?
When I was young, mom would bake several pies and freeze them for later. We kids quickly learned that frozen, baked pies were delicious eaten after school.
Then mom switched to freezing unbaked pies. Totally fouled up a great treat.
I have a family reputation to uphold.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those sweet potatoes look so good, the only sweet potato I've ever grown is one suspended over a container of water top of the fridge, made a lovely vine tho:).
Sweet potatoes are one of our favorite veggies, the orange flesh ones are sold as yams up here only the yellow flesh ones are sold as sweet potatoes. Never seen a true yam sold here. Anyone know why they call the orange ones yams?

Annette

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I felt for sweet potatoes growing in my leaky horse tank and there are SP's there, but I didn't want to dig too far bc of the mass of roots. As you recall, there are 12 plants growing in 2 1/2 ft of compost. HOPING for a big crop. Can I wait a few weeks to harvest, like mid October? curious....

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I saw a SP sticking out so I harvested. Took a bite, VERY SWEET (Beauregard), noticed the sunburn that I won't eat. How long should I wait to harvest, and when is too late?

Attachments

• 1st sweet potato harvested, 09-21-17.jpg
    1st sweet potato harvested, 09-21-17.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 154

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw a SP sticking out so I harvested. Took a bite, VERY SWEET (Beauregard), noticed the sunburn that I won't eat. How long should I wait to harvest, and when is too late?
They cannot freeze and keep.They are not deep so do not let them get too cold. I usually dig them in Early October but mine are ready now. I am warmer than you are I think. I used a black cloth weed barrier and I think it added heat to the soil causing them to grow earlier. Then CAN grow TOO BIG.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's kind of the more they mature the better they taste and the longer they will store. The deadline is frost. If the vine freezes or gets frost-bitten, it immediately starts to rot and that rot moves down into the sweet potato really quickly. I generally leave mine for the general harvest until about a week before the first frost prediction in the 10 day forecast. I dig a few earlier to eat on though.

If you get stuck and can't dig before a frost at least rip the vines off. It's not a great solution but much better than leaving the vines.

They can get pretty big. They will keep growing. One thing I've read about that is the drier it is the bigger they get. My wife doesn't like the really big ones. One big one is more than a meal for us plus with her hands she has difficulty peeling and especially slicing them.

Latest posts