Sweet Potato Recipe

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I had a marvelous sweet potato harvest this year. Now we have to figure out how we're going to eat two bushels of them this winter. We microwave and eat them with butter and brown sugar. We need some help with other ways to prepare them.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Schroeder said:
I had a marvelous sweet potato harvest this year. Now we have to figure out how we're going to eat two bushels of them this winter. We microwave and eat them with butter and brown sugar. We need some help with other ways to prepare them.
Hi Schroeder,
:)
How about making them into a pie, I've never made a sweet potato pie before but I'm going to try it this year. I have sweet potatoes growing in the garden too they should be almost ready to dig up soon. If i get a good harvest I'll make that pie, this is my first year growing them, i hope i get a good harvest.
Or you could bake them in the oven a few different ways.
There must be other ways to prepare them. By the time winter comes maybe we'll find other ways to cook sweet potatoes on the forum.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats on your harvest! We love them sliced up, with a little olive oil, basil, salt and pepper. You can either bake them or cook them on the stove top. Kind of a healthy version of a sweet potato fry....

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Schroeder said:
Hi Schroeder,
How about making them into a pie, I've never made a sweet potato pie before but I'm going to try it this year. I have sweet potatoes growing in the garden too they should be almost ready to dig up soon. If i get a good harvest I'll make that pie, this is my first year growing them, i hope i get a good harvest.
There must be other ways to prepare them. By the time winter comes maybe we'll find other ways to cook sweet potatoes on the forum.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Schroeder said:
Hi Schroeder,

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry about my reply going in 3 times my computer is having a little trouble.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One easy one pot meal with sweet potatos we enjoy is cabbage, onion, sweet potato and sausage, maybe with a bit of chicken broth. I have been known to add to it depending on my mood that day...maybe some egg noodles, leftover rice... a variation on haluska.

One that I never thought would be any good until I tried it is a lot like lesa's version.
Sliced sweet potato, onion and garlic (yes, I said garlic :p).
Coat with olive oil, add salt and pepper to taste and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 35 to 45 minutes. Stir everything around at about 20 minutes. I use a cast iron frying pan for this and it is surprisingly tasty. :)

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't know where the recipe is now but I had one that is pretty simple.
You cut them into piece, brush them with heated apricot marmalade( you can cut it with juice or water if its too thick) and and toss them with pieces of crystalized ginger and roast them in the oven.
I wasn't sure about the recipe at first but after I made it several people asked me for the recipe which I really should try and find.

I also make a sweet potato casserole that is basically boiled and mashed sweet potatoes, egg whites and a couple of other ingredients and topped with a mixture of crushed pineapple, melted butter and brown sugar.
I made it once over ten years ago for a holiday dinner with my large extended family and they went crazy for it and expect it for every holiday meal now ever since.

Latest posts