Sweet Potatoes

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine have purple flowers on them , but have not been planted for 90 days. I planted the last of May, so that makes it roughly 75 days. Can I dig some now???? :drool

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine were just ready at 90 days with a really hot summer. If there's a hill at the base dig one plant and give it a try.
baymule said:
Mine have purple flowers on them , but have not been planted for 90 days. I planted the last of May, so that makes it roughly 75 days. Can I dig some now???? :drool

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I like the dry fleshed sweets so I grow the Okinawa red but it can only be grown in places with a very long growing season. If you want big ones (they get really big) it takes at least a six month growing season, which we luckily have here in San Diego.

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I had a sweet potato sprouting in my cabinet in spring so I stuck it in some dirt, it made 6 vines about 8 inches long, I broke them off and planted them in small pots on my windowseal. I then took a tub that is something for horses and drilled holes in the bottom, filled it with ground leaves, old potting soil and some garden dirt and planted them. I noticed flowers on it this past weekend and I pushed the leaves back on the top and found 6 nice size potatoes surfacing so I dug them out and gave them to my BIL who is diabetic and can't have regular ones. This is what it looks like now. You can't even see the pot.

avm0yf.jpg

Latest posts