Taking The Plunge

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This morning on a sudden whim I decided to look up the Master Gardener program in my county. Seems I missed it again. The next program won't be until 2016 because they only offer it every other year. :(
I have the worst timing on these things. I guess the last time I checked into it was 2012 and I had just missed it that time too.

I thought I'd check the next county and found out that they are offering their course this next spring.

:weee:ya !!!!!!
They'll let me take it there even though I'm not a resident of that county.

I signed up for it. I'm kinda excited.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It will be a feather in your cap, @thistlebloom !

I can imagine prospective clients doing a sharp intake of breath when you mention it amongst your qualifications.

Feng shui next winter, huh? Then, you might claim to comprehend the facts and the mysteries of gardening :).

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks!
The program starts in Feb. and goes through April. Then there is a requirement for 30 to 50 hours of volunteer work to be completed that summer.

Yeah Steve, part of my motivation was credibility. But I'm pretty certain I'll never really get a handle on the facts and mysteries of gardening.

..........But maybe I can fool some people!!!

Edit- oh, the classes are three hours long, two days a week. I hope there's going to be room in my brain for all that info!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awesome! :thumbsup

I looked into it here and ours just started up this month. It's gonna be a couple more years until I can dedicate the time (and brain power) to it though. It's on my bucket list!

Be sure to tell us how it goes!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Thistle Good for You! Now that you are going to be so much smarter, are you still going to be my friend? Ha I'm really going to pick your brain and expect you to solve ALL my gardening problems! :D

So proud of you that you finally got your little "toosh" off that couch and did it!!!! :weee

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should enjoy that class, @thistlebloom! DH and I took it together -- me for Master Gardener accreditation and him just to learn and spend time with me. We really did enjoy the class.

I would hope your instructors are closer to organic than chemically bent in their teaching. Ours started with which chemicals were good for what, then switched to the organic options when all the class members kept asking for non-chemical solutions.

That's where we learned the blueberries would NOT grow here in Rock County. Of course, I had to take a (home-grown) blueberry cobbler to the next session.

Hey, check under your avatar. That class will make you a Garden Master and a Master Gardener. Cool!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Congrats Thistle!

I just signed up for the same thing about two weeks ago (they still need to get back with me about my application). 50 hrs minimum required volunteer work, and $130 for both classes and required fingerprinting. I was surprised that I was one of the only ones there interested in vegetable gardening (there were a lot of people there), everybody else was interested in flowers/aquatics/foliage plants/etc.

I don't think that you start off as a master gardener, but as a master gardener volunteer. You have to work your way up.

Have you decided were your going to put your volunteer time in at yet? (gardening hotline, community gardens, etc.) I'm going with the local hotline, which can be done at home (saves time!).

Good luck!

Latest posts