Taking The Plunge

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, I think you are being very wise to take this course. If all things being equal, I would rather give my business to someone who has a certification than to someone who doesn't. To me it says something about you like Steve says. It's an example of you being caring and professional enough to try to expand your knowledge. I applaud you and hope you get in. Keep us posted.

Mary

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm really excited for you Thistle! Master gardeners are revered around here. There is one person who is a master gardener who lives down the road from me, and people from all around make appointments with him just to talk gardening. :)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for anyone who completes this course. It's on my bucket list too and I know I've got a while before I can take it.

The thing is as Steve points out is the class shows not only commitment but a base level of knowledge based on the course.

Granted there will be people who are more knowledgeable than others who both are MGs but the person who barely passes medical school is still called Dr.

Congrats to those who've accomplished this feat and I'm excited for the folks on this thread who are going to be taking it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first class is on Tuesday Feb.9!

I looked over the class syllabus today and am very excited about the classes. There will be several field trips to different growers properties. One is an orchard right up by the Canadian border that will be in May or June. I think one is an herbal nursery, but I need to check that again, and one sounds like a nursery that starts flowers and vegetables. (Field trips have always been my favorite thing about school :p.)

I'll know more next week when I attend the class and get my books.

When do you start @TheSeedObsesser ?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH is VERY envious. There are no classes anywhere near us. So he reads and reads and flies by the seat of his pants. Plus lots of trial and ERROR!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DH is VERY envious. There are no classes anywhere near us. So he reads and reads and flies by the seat of his pants. Plus lots of trial and ERROR!
Here also, Carol Dee. They used to have some of the classes at the nature center 20 minutes away, now they are at the U of M, 25 miles, but usually 45-60 minutes in traffic. Some hours are spent at the arboretum, over an hour away... and it is highly recommended that you do as much volunteer hours there as possible. The required monthly meetings were also pretty far for me. Here, monthly meetings are required to keep your certification. Two of my friends did the course a few years ago and although they encouraged me to try it myself, I was disappointed at their view of the program. They were both very experienced gardeners and liked to volunteer and teach, so this surprised me. Every area seems to be different, and like any program you get out of it what you're willing to put in to it. I wish I could commit to the commute!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here also, Carol Dee. They used to have some of the classes at the nature center 20 minutes away, now they are at the U of M, 25 miles, but usually 45-60 minutes in traffic. Some hours are spent at the arboretum, over an hour away... and it is highly recommended that you do as much volunteer hours there as possible. The required monthly meetings were also pretty far for me. Here, monthly meetings are required to keep your certification. Two of my friends did the course a few years ago and although they encouraged me to try it myself, I was disappointed at their view of the program. They were both very experienced gardeners and liked to volunteer and teach, so this surprised me. Every area seems to be different, and like any program you get out of it what you're willing to put in to it. I wish I could commit to the commute!
He found one 2 to 2 1/2 hours away!

Latest posts