Taking The Plunge

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ya know, they might let you volunteer at . .

. Farragut State Park.

How would that be?

Steve

That would be cool! Maybe they'd let me ride my bike and ID weeds alongside the trails?

Or canoe around looking for invasive water weeds?

Steve! I think you've hit the mother lode of great ideas!

No but seriously, that's a very interesting thought. (I'm trying to remember it's supposed to be some sort of volunteer work, not just a good time for me....)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
No but seriously, that's a very interesting thought. (I'm trying to remember it's supposed to be some sort of volunteer work, not just a good time for me....)
Good plans, good friends, good weather, good results -- there's no reason volunteer work wouldn't be just a good time as well as a productive time. I always enjoyed working with the other volunteers.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thistle - you're out west were the population is more spaced out. I doubt that there is that many people in the county that are interested in the MG classes to compete with. Probably not that many people who are more fit for the job than you either.

I guess that the fingerprinting might be a state thing?

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My friends who have taken it in Texas report here it is heavily about chemical use, so I have no interest (I'd disrupt the class). It's not even taught in my county (our extension agents are into 'white-tail deer management' although I think the deer are capable of managing themselves).

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Both of our sons played in the Youth football Program and our daughter was a cheer leader. My wife and I were administrators for Cal. Youth Football for years. We had to be fingerprinted and photo IDed. My wife is a past president of AAUW Cal. Branch where she started the "Tech Trek " a one week long science camp for Jr. High girls on full scholarship at College Campuses and dorm living with meals provided at no cost to them 16 years ago. To qualify for this camp, the girls had to be recommended by their teachers and school principal. Two years ago, she started this program in Washington state . She had to be fingerprinted and have a photo ID for both. She was in Washington DC last week to aid in setting up this type of program nationwide. She works for the Govenment and guess what ... more fingerprinting and a photo ID. Years ago , I was in the Insurance , Notary, and Real Estate business... guess what ... fingerprints taken on each count. Three years ago, we moved to Washington and here we have way different vegetation than Cal. so we started to go to nurseries and garden tours. There we met a Professor of Horticulture at Washington State Vancouver campus. He was the Master Gardener coordinator for Clark County. I guess that my wife and I asked the right questions so he invited both of us to become Master Gardeners with the courses in the winter. In the mean time, I made a whole bunch of calls to the volunteer call center for specific advice regarding the local plants and each time was told that they will have to check the books or ask this professor for an answer. We also attended 5 plant sales at Master Gardener WSU plant sales and the Forest Service native plant sales with the MG volunteers were there in masses. When I asked specific questions of the volunteers most of the time they had a blank look on their face and had to ask another volunteer. I decided that I will do my own MG program by attending the school of hard knocks and reading books and articles on the internet . So, a year ago, my dead tree and bush , weed choked and dog inspired moon crater lot I transformed into a garden that was one of 12 gardens ( out of 200 that were considered) [ see photos of my garden posted here last year] that was on the Clark County garden tour. During this tour, I had 3 requests to design gardens. So, in my case ... would a MG certificate do me any good or just a feather in my hat ? :idunno

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm, I already have my certificate of hard knocks, learn-by-past-failures, and sweat of the brow. I have been in the gardening business in one form or another for 40 years, give or take. I own a small gardening business now catering mostly to snowbird estates. I know there is a lot I don't know, and a lot I never will know, no matter how much I apply myself, it's a huge field of learning.

I'm sure there will be much more I can learn from the MG program, even if I don't agree with whatever particular position they may hold.

Earning a certificate will be a plus to my business. Some people just give more credibility to others when there is a piece of paper involved saying you've completed a course.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, in my case ... would a MG certificate do me any good or just a feather in my hat ? :idunno
A very useful feather in your cap. After gardening for 30 years or so and reading everything I could on growing plants, I can say we really didn't learn much by taking the MG class. We did learn how to prune fruit trees. That was extra credit, but very useful. We also did learn a bit more about lawn care and lawn grass options -- my idea of lawn is grass-like ground cover I can mow and keep green that is not in a garden bed, not much more than that. Much of what we had learned on our own was verified, which made us feel good, but not smarter.

However, there are plenty of people out there who set their opinion of your abilities by you having OFFICIAL pieces of paper or letters after your name. It doesn't mean you can or will do a better job, but it helps you get your foot in the door.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not trying to down grade the MG program. Every one is different although every one I've heard of has the volunteer aspect. We were lucky to have an instructor knowledgeable in organic growing. The class started with learning requirements and tests, but a mid-class change in administrators dropped those and in the end attendance and volunteer hours were the sole certification requirements.

A younger gardener has the opportunity to learn a lot. There is certainly something to be said for the networking possibilities that arise through these classes. And, as an educator, I believe that learning is a life-long adventure. I took the class for that learning adventure. If I had not already done so, I'd consider taking it now.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Classes often expose us to new resources, new ideas, and help us stay in focus. I'm inclined to piddle around and structured learning doesn't allow much of that.

There is also the rightly acclaimed quality of perseverance. How are others supposed to measure that if they have just met us? Completing courses of study show that we were willing to persevere, willing to be judged by our competence. Finally, there is an element of self-esteem. We, at least, have some idea what it takes ... er, those what know what it takes, know. So, I've heard.

o_O Steve

Latest posts