Tator Tower Experiment UPDATE

mandieg4

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I want to try planting mine in tires this year. My biggest concern is when you use some type of tower for your potatoes how do you water them? I have this picture in my head of the potatoes near the top of the tower being too wet and the ones at the bottom being too dry.

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have something here in NC we call the 'RedNeck' tater growing method. But instead of a box which costs lots of money and would require someone to actually build something, they use old tires. First you open up a little soil in you garden and lay down an old tire (tar down here in NC). Then you just lay in four or five nice tater seeds, eye side up. Cover the seeds with about 4 inches of good garden soil. You'll want to powder your seeds with ag surphur before planting them. When the tops come out and get about 4 inches high, completely cover 'em up with dirt. In a day or so the plants will recover an start pushing out again. What happens is that the tater will then send out offshoots at that level. Add another tire and repeat the process 2, maybe 3 times. I've heard 4 or five times will work. Then when you want some taters all you have to do is dig out the ones in the topmost tire. Then you remove the top tire and lay it on the ground next to the stack you took it from. The ground should be broken up under it too. Add some tater seeds to the bottom and then use the dirt from the original stack to cover them up with. You can keep this going all spring, summer, and fall. I know folks who are eating redneck taters from their tire garden up into December.

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm such a goober. I read this as tomato tower and was seriously wondering what the point to it all was. lol

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
mandieg4 said:
I want to try planting mine in tires this year. My biggest concern is when you use some type of tower for your potatoes how do you water them? I have this picture in my head of the potatoes near the top of the tower being too wet and the ones at the bottom being too dry.
Yes I'm wondering about watering too. :caf

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
AmyRey said:
I'm such a goober. I read this as tomato tower and was seriously wondering what the point to it all was. lol
Hahahaha! Sounds like a "me" moment!

I do ours in buckets as it keeps my beds free and I don't have to worry about cycling each season. However, my husband has TONS of these buckets left over job after job, so for me, its free!

I just fill them with compost all the way up with only a layer of straw at the bottom for good drainage during the wet season. I think you will be happy with the results boggy!

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I DO cover the top of the tower when it threatens to rain hard. But, I'm going to water it, myself, to try to keep it bout "right"....the SWAG system. Since I'm using, only, compost to fill the tower....it should retain moisture real good once I finish filling and top it of with hay mulch.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
mandieg4 said:
. . . I have this picture in my head of the potatoes near the top of the tower being too wet and the ones at the bottom being too dry.
Try to think about how the moisture in the soil typically drains. The liquid applied at the top will naturally leach down toward the bottom of the tower feeding the roots on it's way. Soon the soil at the top will be dry (or dryer) than the soil at the bottom. It is important to provide some means of drainage at the bottom to reduce the possibility of rotting the roots down low.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Boggy - you have inspired me to try your tower approach this year. I'm also planning to try the tire (or tar) method, too. I'm one of those old guys who find change difficult. I always dig my potato rows, plant the seed 'taters and mound the dirt/straw as the growing progresses. Then at harvest time I have to dig and dig and dig to get my prize.

I have already collected 8 old tars and plan to cut away the sidewalls as shown on a youtube video I studied a month or so ago.

I don't think we have purchased any 'taters in many years. And my back is crying over it.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
AmyRey said:
Amy..don't feel bad. I thought the same thing also. I had to reread it when it didn't make sense! :/

Mary