Tator Tower Experiment UPDATE

lighthawk

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My garden space is limited so the idea of a tower seems to be one that could free up a lot of that space. I only started my compost pile last year so what I have in there that is usable wouldn't be enough to fill a tower. I really need that compost to build the soil in the garden. One commodity I do have an abundance of is Grass Clippings. I grow a monster crop of them every year. I am curious if anyone has ever tried filling a tower or bag using this precious commodity instead of straw or compost. :hu

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Might work, lighthawk. 'Course they'd have to be pretty dry or they'd heat up too much. I always leave mine on the lawn so I never have any to use as mulch.

lighthawk

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have two stone beds that I built last year and I filled them both with clippings. They have sat now all winter covered with snow. My concern is that when I pull back the top layer of clippings there appears to be a milky white dusty coating on the clippings below. Mold maybe?
Just a natural part of the decomp process?
Might be worth the cost of a few seed potatoes to try it and find out.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's probably mycorrhizae, a fungus that is super beneficial to plants. It aids the decomposition process, and helps plants withstand stress. It also helps plants uptake of soil nutrients and resist drought.
I wouldn't worry about it, it's something you want!

lighthawk

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That is good to know. I think I will give it a try this summer. Unless someone chimes in that it would be a total waste of time. Thanks.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
One potential problem I can think of 'hawk, is the matting you get with straight grass clippings. They have a tendency to clump, and I don't know if that would keep water from moving through the bed (?)
:idunno
But hey! Experimenting is what it's all about right? I say give it a try on a small scale and see what happens...and let us know. We're willing to let you be the guinea pig :D

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, it's threatening rain so I covered the tower. Thought you might like to see what I use and how it looks. Definitely don't want to water log the crop.
6615_227.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That should do it, boggy! A nice covered crop! Your tower was featured in Organic Gardening magazine, this month. I thought of you, right away! They had good results with it!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
This idea seems better than the 55gal drum method.
You can stack it up as you go instead of having to reach into a drum to place material. I am very interested in seeing how well it produces. I would like to build one also, but I have large to do list at this time, plus my DW honey do list is keeping me as busy as a bear in a bee hive at this time. keep posting so we can watch how it progresses.

Latest posts