Tawny Coster

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, glad to have a positive ID on my little 'pillar! And a pretty one at that. So, it does NOT like the leaves DH gave it yesterday - what should I feed it? I have some Boston Fern I woul sacrifice a few stems for this little guy. You think it would like those??

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In that picture it is obviously adoring that tomato plant. Do you have any tomatoes it can munch on?

I cannot imagine a gardener without a tomato plant. ;)

Ron

....oh wait, that isn't a tomato plant is it? What is that plant? LOL :lol: It sort of looks vine-like.

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If it is a gulf fritillary like the one I posted, they feed exclusivly on passionflower vines. I would get some of the vine they have been feeding on and put that in with it.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh yeah,

I can see that now, it is a passion vine. Very nice. I guess what needs to be done for this guy in the jar is to take him back to the originating vine and wait for the cocoons to set, then take one home to watch.

Goodluck,

Ron

Oh, I forgot, since this vine in question is also likely a passion vine, then it is a frost tender perennial and would be freezing to the ground come winter anyways, so this means that no matter the damage done by the caterpillars it will all regrow again next year. :D

Well....until they come back and lay their eggs again. :cool:

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, we will have to take him back in the morning. Hopefully he doesn't starve to death before then.... :/

Latest posts