Teeny Tiny Snails

popsgumdrop

Leafing Out
Reaction score
CMinNH: I thought about the salt, but I am concerned about the plants. There are a lot of little young plants in there. We have fish in an aquarium in the house. Maybe I will grab a few and throw 'em in to see what the fish doe. Even though the shells are hard, they are very, very tiny. I should try to get a pic to post.

Lesa: they do have shells. The beer seems to be working at least some what. I didn't go get the snail bait but I guess I'm gonna have to. I do have drainage holes in the wheelbarrow, I call it the peabarrow! I love that.

so lucky/wifezill: I have plenty of crushed eggshells I was gonna add to the compost, but I think I will throw in the peabarrow instead and see what happens. Thanks!!

To give you guys an idea of how many of them there are, Saturday I let my OCD kick in and stood by the pealbarrow for a while pulling snails out. I counted up to 100. I also found a little "nest" under the soil. They seemed to be coming up from there, so I dug out a bunch of the dirt. Don't know how many of them there were int here. This was in addition to the 30 or so I pulled out the day before and the ones that drank themselves to death. Looked in the peabarrow this morning and I don't think I have made a dent in them yet. stupid snails. So far though the peas look good.

Neko-Chan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Chook food. :p I wish I had chooks, I had collected a jam jar full of snails when I was at the garden yesterday.

popsgumdrop

Leafing Out
Reaction score
These are the dang teeny tiny snails. I put a dime next to them for scale reference.

IMG_0434.jpg

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
those sort of look like a trumpet snail that are found attached to aquarium plants. so your fish might really like them if they have the jaws to crunch on them!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you put them in the aquarium, they will probably reproduce way more than you want. I have seen aquariums left dry for years, filled with water and used again, and these snails have survived in it, especially in the gravel. First thing you know, they are all over the place. There's pretty much no killing them!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have never seen snails like that...the shells of the snails here are rounder like a button... yours look like periwinkles you find at the beach...

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mom, we do tend to have more of the ram's horn snails in this area-both in water and on land types when i've seen them. in my pond i have seen the 'mystery' snails go crazy but the fish when they spot them usually take care of keeping them from over populating the ponds. what you have there Pops looks a lot like the malaysian trumpet snails that occasionally are sold at pet stores. they can survive outside fish tanks and live in moist conditions if they have to. looks like someone could have cleaned out a tank at some point and they survived to travel to your garden!

btw, if you are ever moving to other states and want to keep snails in a pond or aquarium, look up the local laws about them. i know that NH is quite ok with some species of fish/snail/plants but just over the border into ME they don't allow much to cross over their border! (someone a few years ago got into trouble in ME for bringing plants that had snails on them over state lines)

popsgumdrop

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Haven't checked in for a while, but the teeny tiny snails are gone. I beered 'em, egg shelled 'em, salted them, and then we had a big storm and afterwards it seemed they were all gone. I've been checking every day for about a week now and haven't seen any. :celebrate So, thanks for the advice everyone.

Latest posts