Temperature

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was told that cucumbers like warm weather. I have three seedlings, all of which have something wrong with them. One just likes to flop over, one the ends of its leaves are shriveling despite the fact they have plenty of water, and the other has one leaf that is shriveling and dying, while the other leaf is just fine.

Today its not getting over 55 and I'm wondering if it would be ok to put the cucumbers outside. Its 47 right now. I went ahead and moved my other plants out.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would leave the cukes inside today. All of my seedlings came in last night (tomatos and peppers) and have been put on in house restriction for the day. Cold and windy out there today.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Very cold and windy today here too... high of 56?! And tonight we're looking at 35-36 maybe?! Keep those hot loving plants inside for now. I have to move my hibiscus and petunia inside today. My cukes are with my cantelope sprouts and will move out in about a week.

These crazy temps are driving me crazy!

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
And does anyone have any thoughts about my cucumber seedlings? The seedling with one leaf shriveling has completely lost that bad leaf. The bad leaf is almost completely shriveled. The one that has the tips of its leaves shriveled is now almost completely shriveled. The one that is limp is doing better.

Could it be cooler temperatures, water, light? These plants get several hours of sunlight every day. I water when the soil starts to dry. I put them out during the day and bring them in at night.

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
SoyBean said:
And does anyone have any thoughts about my cucumber seedlings? The seedling with one leaf shriveling has completely lost that bad leaf. The bad leaf is almost completely shriveled. The one that has the tips of its leaves shriveled is now almost completely shriveled. The one that is limp is doing better.

Could it be cooler temperatures, water, light? These plants get several hours of sunlight every day. I water when the soil starts to dry. I put them out during the day and bring them in at night.
My cucmbers look like he is describing so please respond smart people.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
These are true leaves? My GUESS is that its colder temps. Cukes really do need 70+ soil temps to do well. It could be from fluctuations in temperature. Mother Nature has certainly been busy with temperature variations this spring.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It's really hard to tell anything without seeing the seedlings and even then on such small plants it might be hard. Sounds like it MIGHT be damage from temps or wind.

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Crap I had them on the windowsill and the window was open Friday around 3pm until Saturday around 9pm. Probably is wind damage for me.

Latest posts