Thai Pea Eggplant

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get Thai Pea Eggplant seeds (or started plants) here in the US? My sister-in-law has asked me to grow some for her. From her description and after chatting with the lady at this location,

http://www.chileplants.com/

I'm convinced what she was talking about was Thai Pea Eggplant (Solanum Trilobatum). The only seeds I could find on the internet were from Thailand. I ordered some but the shipper did not have an export permit to ship them to the US. They were confiscated so I'm on that list od suspicious characters now. I didn't even realize they were shipped from Thailand until after I ordered them. The lady at ChiliPlants got her seeds from Thailand when she grew them but she does not offer them now.

I've been totally unsuccessful on the internet so I'll throw out this challenge. I really don't expect much but if you don't ask you don't succeed.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are Solanum Torvum instead of Solanum Trilobatum, which is what I think I want. It might make a good substitute though. It's probably worth a try but that site is out of stock.

I've seen Torvum also called Turkey berry Pea Eggplant which makes me question if it is the same.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reimer's has a Solanum xanthocarpum. They talk of medicinal value.

Wikipedia says these are 2 are different Solanum species, not synonyms.

Like Seedcorn, I see quite a few eBay ads for the trilobatum seeds.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, the trilobatum seeds I see on eBay ship from Thailand. I've had trilobatum seeds from Thailand confiscated. If you could hook my up with a link in the US I'd be appreciative.

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Folks should be aware that EBay sources for plant material are often out of the US. I don't understand why those listings are allowed, since the shipping isn''t permitted by government regulations. Many folks don't realize the problem and either get in trouble and/or lose their money and EBay just makes a profit from it. That isn't right.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that part of the problem is that not every country where ebay can be used has it's own ebay, or is careful to exclude those regions where it can't go. A certain portion of the traffic is for shipping from one foreign country to another one (in a context where the US is not considered "foreign"). SOME countries have their own eBay (Canada, UK, Italy, Germany etc.) or their own equivalent (Yahoo! Japan or China's Alibaba)

There is also the fact that it isn't like the material NEVER gets through. It isn't like USDA customs reads "no plant material of any sort from outside the county, ever." Often the plant or seed CAN be shipped with no problem, or it just slips by. I've order one or two things in my life, and they slipped by (though I don't think any of them actually ever grew)

And while it seems unfair, ebay has always said they just work as the marketplace; it's always been caveat emptor.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I just wasn't paying attention when I ordered. It wasn't really clear on their site but I feel a part was my fault for not paying more attention. They were trying to slip it through since they wrote "gift" on the package. I'm sure some, and maybe even most, get through. I'm aware they need a license or permit to get it into the US and they were aware they don't have it by the way it was packaged. I don't blame eBay. The internet is international.

Sister-in-Law wants to use it in a curry. She lived in China over a decade and traveled around while there, including to Thailand. She found some Thai Pea Eggplant in an oriental market while living in Houston so there has to be seeds in the US somewhere, but maybe not necessarily legally or for sale on the internet. She's tried substituting other small eggplant but those don't have the flavor she is looking for. She's the kind of cook that when she tastes a sauce she likes in a restaurant she'll try to duplicate it at home and usually comes pretty close. It's hard to sneak substitutes in on her. She has us over to eat about once a month. I try to keep her happy.

Latest posts